Calculating Area of Plane Regions | r2sin(2theta) and r^2 < 4

• Thread starter nanostudy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Area Plane
In summary: The inequality r^2sin(2theta) > 2\sqrt{3} is an inverted conic section, specifically a hyperbola. The curve is a rectangular hyperbola, with asymptotes at y=1 and y=-1. The shaded region is above the curve, and the curved boundary is defined by the equation r^2sin(2theta) = 2\sqrt{3}. To integrate over this region, you can use the bounds r=0 and r=\sqrt{2\sqrt{3}/sin(2theta)}. In summary, the area of the region in the plane where r^2sin(2theta) > 2\sqrt{3} and r^2 <
nanostudy

Homework Statement

Find the area of the region in the plane where, r2sin(2theta) >2(sq.root3) , r^2 < 4

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

To try to visualize the problem a little better I converted from r2sin(2theta) to 2xy. However I'm confused after this, since I don't know what the upper limit to integrate is. Also, in the context of the question what does r^2 < 4 mean? Thanks very much. :)

Physics news on Phys.org
nanostudy said:

Homework Statement

Find the area of the region in the plane where, r2sin(2theta) >2(sq.root3) , r^2 < 4

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

To try to visualize the problem a little better I converted from r2sin(2theta) to 2xy. However I'm confused after this, since I don't know what the upper limit to integrate is. Also, in the context of the question what does r^2 < 4 mean? Thanks very much. :)

Recall that [itex]r = \sqrt{x^2 + y^2}[/itex], so the inequality [itex]r^2 < 4[/itex] covers all points within a circle of radius 2 about the origin in the xy-plane. Sketch the graph of this bounding circle, and the graph of the bounding curve [itex]2xy = 2\sqrt{3}[/itex] (a rectangular hyperbola). Then shade in the regions that satisfy the inequality. Use the boundaries of those regions to define your integrals.

[itex]r^2< 4[/itex], in polar coordinates, is the same as "r< 2" since r is not negative. That is the interior of a circle, centered at the origin, with radius 2

Related to Calculating Area of Plane Regions | r2sin(2theta) and r^2 < 4

What is the formula for finding the area of a plane region?

The formula for finding the area of a plane region depends on the shape of the region. Some common formulas include: A = bh for a rectangle, A = πr² for a circle, and A = ½bh for a triangle.

How do you calculate the area of an irregularly shaped plane region?

To calculate the area of an irregularly shaped plane region, you can use the method of dividing the region into smaller, more regular shapes and then adding up their individual areas. Alternatively, you can use integral calculus to find the area under a curve that represents the irregular shape.

What is the difference between perimeter and area?

Perimeter refers to the distance around the boundary of a two-dimensional shape, while area refers to the measure of the surface enclosed by that boundary. In other words, perimeter is the length of the sides, while area is the amount of space inside those sides.

Can the area of a plane region be negative?

No, the area of a plane region cannot be negative. It is always a positive value, as it represents the amount of space enclosed by the boundary of the region.

Why is it important to know the area of a plane region?

Knowing the area of a plane region is important in many fields, including architecture, engineering, and geometry. It allows us to accurately measure and compare the size and shape of different regions, and can also be used in real-world applications such as calculating materials needed for construction or determining the capacity of a container.