Calculating degeneracy of the energy levels of a 2D harmonic oscillator

In summary, the conversation is about combinatorics and finding a general method for approaching problems with multiple summands. The participants discuss various equations and theories related to energy eigenvalues and degeneracy in different systems. They also mention the importance of commensurability in achieving degeneracy.
sukmeov
Homework Statement
I calculated the energies for decoupled oscillators to be E_n_1 = 3 ħω(n_1+1/2) and E_n_2 = ħω(n_2 +1/2) and so the total energy of the 2D harmonic oscillator is E = ħω(3n_1+n_2 +2). What's the degeneracy for each energy level?
Relevant Equations
none... just counting
Too dim for this kind of combinatorics. Could anyone refer me to/ explain a general way of approaching these without having to think :D. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Wait... If n=3n_1 + n_2 then is it just floor(n/3) +1?

Make some kind of graph or ladder diagram. Then just look. This one seems hardly worth the effort...

Likes sukmeov
Yeah. Think I was being silly. A general method might be useful for 3 or more summands... I posted an attempt above. Do you think it is correct?

I don't think so. If n=4 specify the 2 degenerate states by ##(n_1,n_2)##.
Make a little matrix table of degeneracy with ##(n_1,n_2)##, you'll see

4= 3x0+4= 3x1 +1, so degeneracy is 2. floor(4/3)+1=2... am I missing something?

Likes hutchphd
You know I made a little table. You are in fact correct! Apologies for the brain fade.

Shouldn't the energy eigenvalues be
$$E_{n_1,n_2}=\hbar \omega (n_1+n_2+1)$$
with ##n_1,n_2 \in \mathbb{N}_0##?

vanhees71 said:
Shouldn't the energy eigenvalues be
En1,n2=ℏω(n1+n2+1)
I don't think the problem is isotropic. But I don't know of any system where this is a good model (other than pedagogy).

Well, but then you have
$$E_{n_1,n_2}=\hbar (\omega_1 n_1 + \omega_2 n_2 +1)$$
with different frequencies for the normal modes of the plane oscillator. I'm still puzzled about where the formula for the energy eigenvalues in #1 comes from.

I assumed they just defined ##\omega _1= 3\omega_2##

Clearly it is artificial. As I consider it, are there subtleties to such "accidental" degeneracies? Everything has a finite energy width in practice.

Oscillator with diagonal potential (1 0
0 9).

Argh. My fault. Of course, if you want to have degeneracy at all ##\omega_1## and ##\omega_2## must be "commensurable", i.e., ##\omega_1/\omega_2 \in \mathbb{Q}##. Now it makes sense!

1. What is degeneracy in the context of a 2D harmonic oscillator?

Degeneracy refers to the number of energy levels that have the same energy value in a system. In a 2D harmonic oscillator, the energy levels are degenerate if they have the same total energy but different combinations of quantum numbers.

2. How do you calculate the degeneracy of the energy levels in a 2D harmonic oscillator?

The degeneracy of the energy levels in a 2D harmonic oscillator can be calculated using the formula: D = (n+1)(n+2)/2, where n is the principal quantum number. This formula takes into account the degeneracy of both the x and y directions.

3. Can the degeneracy of the energy levels in a 2D harmonic oscillator change?

Yes, the degeneracy of the energy levels in a 2D harmonic oscillator can change if the system is subjected to an external perturbation or if the potential is modified. However, the degeneracy will remain the same for a given potential and boundary conditions.

4. How does the degeneracy of the energy levels affect the behavior of a 2D harmonic oscillator?

The degeneracy of the energy levels affects the spacing between energy levels and the overall energy distribution in a 2D harmonic oscillator. Higher degeneracy means more closely spaced energy levels, which can result in different physical properties and behaviors of the system.

5. Why is calculating the degeneracy of the energy levels important in studying a 2D harmonic oscillator?

Calculating the degeneracy of the energy levels is important because it provides insight into the quantum mechanical behavior of a 2D harmonic oscillator. It also helps in understanding the energy distribution and possible transitions between energy levels in the system.