1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculating density of a perovskite structure, a question, phase diagr

1. Sep 13, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

See attachment q2 for the perovskite structure

3. The attempt at a solution
    For the perovskite structure, I assume that the lattice constant is equal to 2*(R1+R2+R3) and calculate the density based on this. Am I correct? (The attachment q2ans is my attempt on the question)

For the phase diagram attachment, can anyone tell me what α, γ, ε represent?
    i tried searching this on the internet, I assume that α is aluminium, ε is magnesium and γ is vapour phase. Is this correct?

Best Regards
    Junkwisch

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 13, 2014 #2

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

No. The titanium ion is small, it does not touch the other ions. See one face of the cube and figure out the side length so as the arrangement with one oxygen ion at the centre and barium ions at the corners can be established. The lattice constant is equal to the side length of the cube.

ehild

Last edited: Sep 13, 2014
  4. Sep 13, 2014 #3
    thank for your reply ehild

the attachment here is what I did by finding 'a' from a single face. I got a new value for volume which will result in higher density :D. Since Ti is so small, do I still need to include it in the mass calculation?

Junks

5. Sep 13, 2014 #4
    Sorry, I forgot to attach the pic

Junks

Attached Files:

6. Sep 13, 2014 #5

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You need to include it in the mass, but remember, only 1/4 th of the sides in the centre of the cube is filled with titanium ions.
    The volume is correct now.

ehild

7. Sep 13, 2014 #6
    ah, so only 1/4 of the mass of Ti is included, thank you ehild :D

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted