Calculating density of a perovskite structure, a question, phase diagr

In summary, the discussion revolved around the perovskite structure, with a question about the lattice constant and density. There was also a question about the representation of α, γ, and ε in a phase diagram. The conversation ended with a clarification about including titanium ions in the mass calculation for density.
Junkwisch

Homework Statement

See attachment q2 for the perovskite structure

The Attempt at a Solution

For the perovskite structure, I assume that the lattice constant is equal to 2*(R1+R2+R3) and calculate the density based on this. Am I correct? (The attachment q2ans is my attempt on the question)

For the phase diagram attachment, can anyone tell me what α, γ, ε represent?
i tried searching this on the internet, I assume that α is aluminium, ε is magnesium and γ is vapour phase. Is this correct?

Best Regards
Junkwisch

Attachments

• Q2.png
    Q2.png
    39.5 KB · Views: 1,492
  • q2ans.jpg
    q2ans.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 869
  • phasediagram.png
    phasediagram.png
    22.3 KB · Views: 868
Physics news on Phys.org
Junkwisch said:

Homework Statement

See attachment q2 for the perovskite structure

The Attempt at a Solution

For the perovskite structure, I assume that the lattice constant is equal to 2*(R1+R2+R3) and calculate the density based on this. Am I correct? (The attachment q2ans is my attempt on the question)

No. The titanium ion is small, it does not touch the other ions. See one face of the cube and figure out the side length so as the arrangement with one oxygen ion at the centre and barium ions at the corners can be established. The lattice constant is equal to the side length of the cube.

ehild

Last edited:
thank for your reply ehild

the attachment here is what I did by finding 'a' from a single face. I got a new value for volume which will result in higher density :D. Since Ti is so small, do I still need to include it in the mass calculation?

Junks

Sorry, I forgot to attach the pic

Junks

Attachments

• q2anscontinue.jpg
    q2anscontinue.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 840
Junkwisch said:
thank for your reply ehild

the attachment here is what I did by finding 'a' from a single face. I got a new value for volume which will result in higher density :D. Since Ti is so small, do I still need to include it in the mass calculation?Junks

You need to include it in the mass, but remember, only 1/4 th of the sides in the centre of the cube is filled with titanium ions.
The volume is correct now.

ehild

Likes 1 person
ah, so only 1/4 of the mass of Ti is included, thank you ehild :D

1. What is the formula for calculating density of a perovskite structure?

The formula for calculating density of a perovskite structure is mass divided by volume. This can be represented by the equation D = m/V, where D is density, m is mass, and V is volume.

2. How do you determine the mass of a perovskite structure?

The mass of a perovskite structure can be determined by weighing it using a balance or scale. It is important to account for the weight of any containers or materials used to hold the structure during weighing.

3. What units are used to measure density of a perovskite structure?

Density is typically measured in units of grams per cubic centimeter (g/cm3) or kilograms per cubic meter (kg/m3). These units can be converted to other commonly used units such as pounds per cubic inch (lb/in3) or ounces per cubic inch (oz/in3).

4. Can you use the phase diagram to calculate density of a perovskite structure?

No, the phase diagram for a perovskite structure only provides information about the different phases of the material at different temperatures and pressures. Density is not a variable included in the phase diagram.

5. Does temperature and pressure affect the density of a perovskite structure?

Yes, temperature and pressure can have an impact on the density of a perovskite structure. As temperature increases, the particles in the structure will have more energy and may spread out, resulting in a decrease in density. Similarly, as pressure increases, the particles will be pushed closer together, resulting in an increase in density.