Calculating distance per 1-sec interval for plot graph d vs t

In summary: On b), you used the right equation and correctly applied the numbers to get the answer of 95m.On c), you are correct that the problem does not state that the acceleration is constant. However, since the problem does not give any other information, we have to assume that the acceleration is constant for the purpose of this problem. Your approach to forming
albodibran
2 travelining in a straight line initial velocity is 14m/s, at a constant acceleration of 2.0m/s^2 to a velocity of 24 m/s

a) how much time to reach velocity of 24m/s

t= v-v0/a or 24-14/2= 5 seconds

b) distance covered by car in this process?

d=v0(t) + 1/2(at^2) or (14)(5)+1/2(2)(5^2)= 70m+25m= 95m

c) compute values of the distance traveled at 1-sec intercals and carefully draw a graph of distance plotted against time for this motion?
c is the only one throwing me off

the problem doesn't say it is constant but this is the approach I took to form a graph plot

so then distance per second would be 19 m?
by taking distance/time 95m/5s
so at each second interval it would be like this t graph?

t-0 d-0
t-1 d-19
t-2 d- 38

so on and so forth?
I mean it doesn't say its constant acceleration so idk if what I did was right for c

Physics news on Phys.org
albodibran said:
2 travelining in a straight line initial velocity is 14m/s, at a constant acceleration of 2.0m/s^2 to a velocity of 24 m/s

a) how much time to reach velocity of 24m/s

t= v-v0/a or 24-14/2= 5 seconds

b) distance covered by car in this process?

d=v0(t) + 1/2(at^2) or (14)(5)+1/2(2)(5^2)= 70m+25m= 95m

c) compute values of the distance traveled at 1-sec intercals and carefully draw a graph of distance plotted against time for this motion?
c is the only one throwing me off

the problem doesn't say it is constant but this is the approach I took to form a graph plot

so then distance per second would be 19 m?
by taking distance/time 95m/5s
so at each second interval it would be like this t graph?

t-0 d-0
t-1 d-19
t-2 d- 38

so on and so forth?
I mean it doesn't say its constant acceleration so idk if what I did was right for c

On a), I don't think you used the equation correctly. Start with the equation for velocity and carefully apply your numbers...

[tex]v(t) = v_0 + at[/tex]

1. What is the formula for calculating distance per 1-sec interval?

The formula for calculating distance per 1-sec interval is: distance = velocity x time, where velocity is measured in meters per second and time is measured in seconds.

2. How do you plot a graph of distance (d) vs. time (t)?

To plot a graph of distance vs. time, you will need to first collect data by measuring the distance traveled at specific time intervals. Then, plot the time on the x-axis and the corresponding distance on the y-axis. Connect the data points with a line to create the graph.

3. Can you use any unit of measurement for distance and time when calculating distance per 1-sec interval?

No, it is important to use consistent units of measurement for distance and time when calculating distance per 1-sec interval. The most commonly used units are meters for distance and seconds for time.

4. What does the slope of a distance vs. time graph represent?

The slope of a distance vs. time graph represents the velocity of the object. A steeper slope indicates a higher velocity, while a flatter slope indicates a lower velocity.

5. Can you calculate the distance per 1-sec interval if the object is accelerating?

Yes, the formula for calculating distance per 1-sec interval can still be used for objects that are accelerating. However, the velocity will be changing at each time interval, so the distance traveled will also be changing. It is important to measure and record the velocity at each time interval for an accurate calculation.