Calculating Electric Field of Two Charged Particles on the y-axis

In summary, two 1.00µC charged particles located on the x-axis at x=1.00m and x=-1.00m create an electric field on the y-axis at y=0.400m. The electric field equation is E=ke*q/r^2 where ke is the Coulomb constant, q is the charge of the particles, and r is the distance between them. The x-components cancel out, so only the y-component needs to be considered. The calculation for the electric field on the y-axis is 8.99*10^9*(1*10^-6C)/r^2, where r is the distance between the particles and y=0.400m. However, the
Carrie

Homework Statement

Two 1.00µC charged particles are located on the x axis. One is at x = 1.00 m, and the other is at x = -1.00 m.
Determine the electric field on the y axis at y = 0.400 m

Homework Equations

Electric Field = ke * q / r^2

3. The Attempt at a Solution

I know the x-components cancel out, so we're only left with the y-component.
E= 8.99*10^9 * (1*10^-6 C / (square root(1^2 + .400^2)) and then you have to take the y-component into account, so you multiply that by sin(.400/(square root(1^2 + .400^2))... and then multiply everything by 2 because there are two different charged particles. I'm getting an answer of 5625 N/C, but apparently the answer is 5760 N/C. [/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
Carrie said:

Homework Statement

Two 1.00µC charged particles are located on the x axis. One is at x = 1.00 m, and the other is at x = -1.00 m.
Determine the electric field on the y axis at y = 0.400 m

Homework Equations

Electric Field = ke * q / r^2

3. The Attempt at a Solution

I know the x-components cancel out, so we're only left with the y-component.
E= 8.99*10^9 * (1*10^-6 C / (square root(1^2 + .400^2)) and then you have to take the y-component into account, so you multiply that by sin(.400/(square root(1^2 + .400^2))... and then multiply everything by 2 because there are two different charged particles. I'm getting an answer of 5625 N/C, but apparently the answer is 5760 N/C. [/B]
According to the following, you only divided by r, not r2 .

E= 8.99*10^9 * (1*10^-6 C / (square root(1^2 + .400^2))

When I put it in my calculator, I did square it... oops, just forgot to type it here. Still getting 5625.

Carrie said:
When I put it in my calculator, I did square it... oops, just forgot to type it here. Still getting 5625.
Are you rounding off any intermediate results?

Nope, I put it in exactly how I did here without rounding off the calculation of the hypotenuse.

Carrie said:
Nope, I put it in exactly how I did here without rounding off the calculation of the hypotenuse.
Maybe this is the problem. The following

.400/(square root(1^2 + .400^2))

is the sine of the angle. Don't take the sine of this. That would be sin(sin(θ)).

SammyS said:
Maybe this is the problem. The following

.400/(square root(1^2 + .400^2))

is the sine of the angle. Don't take the sine of this. That would be sin(sin(θ)).

What do you mean? I thought that since sine is OPP/HYP and the opposite would be 0.400 and the hypotenuse would use Pythagorean theorem and it would be square root(1^2 + .400^2, so it would be sin(.400/(square root(1^2 + .400^2))... right?

Carrie said:
What do you mean? I thought that since sine is OPP/HYP and the opposite would be 0.400 and the hypotenuse would use Pythagorean theorem and it would be square root(1^2 + .400^2, so it would be sin(.400/(square root(1^2 + .400^2))... right?
Yes. That, 0.400/square root(1^2 + .400^2), IS the sine. Don't take the sine of the sine.

Ohhhh wow, that was it! Thank you so much! I didn't even realize.

What is the formula for calculating electric field?

The formula for calculating electric field is E = F/q, where E is the electric field, F is the force exerted on a charge, and q is the magnitude of the charge.

How is electric field different from electric potential?

Electric field is a measure of the force exerted on a charge, while electric potential is a measure of the potential energy per unit charge at a certain point in space. In other words, electric field tells us how a charge will move in a given electric field, while electric potential tells us the energy associated with that movement.

What unit is used to measure electric field?

The SI unit for electric field is newtons per coulomb (N/C).

Can electric field be negative?

Yes, electric field can be negative. This indicates that the direction of the electric field is opposite to the direction of the force on a positive charge. It is important to pay attention to the direction of the electric field when using it in calculations.

How do you calculate the electric field at a point in space?

To calculate the electric field at a given point, you need to know the magnitude and direction of the charge creating the field, as well as the distance from the charge to the point. You can then use the formula E = kq/r^2, where k is the Coulomb's constant, q is the charge, and r is the distance from the charge to the point.