Calculating Forces on a Crate on a Frictionless Ramp

• Thread starter 1stcool
  • Start date
In summary, a crate with a mass of 210 kg is being pushed up a frictionless ramp at a constant speed by a horizontal force. The question is asking for the magnitude of the force exerted by the ramp on the crate. The normal force can be found by using the equation Fg*cos⊙(26), but this only applies if there is no horizontal force. To find the normal force, one must consider all the forces acting on the crate and apply the conditions for equilibrium. There are three forces in this scenario: Fg, F, and Fn. The correct approach is to consider all three forces and use the conditions for equilibrium.
1stcool
please help me with this phy problem, thx

In Figure 5-39, a crate of mass m = 210 kg is pushed at constant speed up the frictionless ramp ( = 26.0°) by a horizontal force F.

http://www.webassign.net/hrw/hrw7_5-39.gif

What is the magnitude of the force exerted by the ramp on the crate?

I use m*g to find Fg, and then using Fg*cos⊙(26) to find Fn(normal Force) but I got it wrong, can anybody help me, thx.

Physics news on Phys.org
The normal force would be [itex]mg cos\theta[/itex] only if there were no horizontal force F. Instead, consider all the forces acting on the crate (I see three) and apply the conditions for equilibrium.

three? is it Fg, F and Fn?

1stcool said:
three? is it Fg, F and Fn?
That's correct.

Doc Al said:
That's correct.
ok, thanks Doc Al

Related to Calculating Forces on a Crate on a Frictionless Ramp

1. What is a "phy problem"?

A "phy problem" refers to a problem or issue related to the field of physics. This can include topics such as motion, energy, forces, and matter.

2. How can you help me with my phy problem?

As a scientist, I have expertise in the field of physics and can provide guidance and assistance in understanding and solving your phy problem. I can also offer resources and tools to aid in your problem-solving process.

3. Do you have experience with phy problems?

Yes, as a scientist, I have extensive experience in working with and solving phy problems. I have studied and conducted research in the field of physics for many years.

4. Is my phy problem too complex for you to help with?

No problem is too complex for a scientist. I am trained to approach problems systematically and can break down complex issues into manageable steps in order to find a solution.

5. How long will it take for you to help me with my phy problem?

The time it takes to solve a phy problem can vary depending on the complexity of the issue and the resources available. However, as a scientist, I am committed to finding a solution and will work efficiently to help you understand and overcome your phy problem.