Calculating Friction Force for Moving a Crate Across a Rough Floor

In summary, the conversation is about a homework question where the goal is to find the necessary force to move a 32 kg crate with a coefficient of static friction of 0.56 on a rough floor. The conversation includes discussing the equations needed to solve the problem and the importance of using the correct values for friction. The person helping suggests making a free body diagram and using the equations Fx(net)=ma and Fy(net)=0 to solve for the unknown variables. They also mention the need to make an assumption in order to solve the problem.
jwang023

Homework Statement

to move a large crate across a rough floor you push it with a force of 21 degrees below the horizontal of F. find the necessary force to move the 32 kg crate with a coefficient of static friction of floor and crate is 0.56?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
please show your attempt to solve the question .. Then we will help ..

Well, I went ahead and made a picture representing what I needed and what not. I than set the x and y directions to try to make equations to solve for the variables.

So, in the x direction, I had -(mu sub k) + Fcos21= ma
For the y direction I set an equation -mg+N-Fsin21=0

I wrote fk =mu sub k*N on the side for reference. I was stuck because I figured I have to find force first right?

have you drawn a free body diagram carefully?

In the x-direction the friction force is not(mu sub k) this is not a force?, and another thing you are not given (mu sub k) you are given (mu sub s) don't you think you should use it?

I suggest you to do the free body diagram more carefully this time ..

You know that, Fx(net)=ma and Fy(net)= zero .. You are given the mass m=32kg and (mu sub s) substituting in the equations you will end up with 2 unknowns F (what the question wants) and a (the acceleration) , so do you have to make a certain assumption ? Try to think about it and let us know your answer :) ..

Related to Calculating Friction Force for Moving a Crate Across a Rough Floor

1. What is friction?

Friction is a force that resists the motion of an object across a surface. It is caused by the interaction between two surfaces in contact with each other.

2. How does friction affect motion?

Friction can either slow down or completely stop the motion of an object. It also causes wear and tear on surfaces in contact, which can affect the efficiency and lifespan of machines and devices.

3. What factors affect the amount of friction?

The amount of friction depends on the type of surfaces in contact, the force pushing the surfaces together, and the roughness or smoothness of the surfaces. It also increases with the weight of the object and the speed of its motion.

4. How is friction useful in everyday life?

Friction has many practical applications in everyday life. It helps us walk and grip objects, allows brakes to stop vehicles, and enables tires to grip the road. It is also used in machines and devices to control and reduce motion, and in sports to improve performance.

5. Can friction be reduced or eliminated?

Friction can be reduced by using lubricants, such as oil or grease, between surfaces in contact. It can also be minimized by using smoother and more slippery materials for surfaces. However, it cannot be completely eliminated as it is a natural force that occurs whenever two surfaces are in contact.