Calculating magnetic flux of a rod

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the electromotive force (EMF) between points O and C, as well as the velocity when the EMF is constant. The speaker presents two ways of solving the problem - using electric and magnetic flux - and notes that an imaginary area can be used to obtain the same solution. The speaker also poses questions about the validity and explanation of this approach.
yahelra

Homework Statement

B = 0.02T
L = 40 cm
w = 10 rad/s
a: Electromotive force between O and C = ?
1 - Copy.jpeg

b: If electromotive force is the same - so what is the velocity?
2.jpeg
I found 2 ways of solution. See "3. The Attempt at a Solution "

Homework Equations

φ = BA
ε = -dφ(t)/dt

The Attempt at a Solution

So I found 2 ways:
1. What every one would do - by Electric:
sol.jpeg

2. By the magnetic flux. But wait - There is no area.
So I found that if I would take in problem a the area of what the rod had passed (part of a disc) I would get the exact solution.
1 - Copy.jpeg

1.jpeg

For problem b if I would take the area of a triangle I will get the solution too.My question - Why does the second way is also true? How can it be explained (For both problem a and b)?

Thanks a lot!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Is that a line or a rod? The way the picture is presented it doesn't look like there is any flux, let alone a change in flux. Did you give us the entire problem statement?

Last edited:
I gave you the entire statement.
And you are right, as I wrote there are no magnetic flux because there is no area.

I meant that I've found that we can take an imaginary area and it will give us the same solution. ( See picture -0.016 V)

My questions are why is it true and how can it be explained?

1. What is magnetic flux and why is it important to calculate?

Magnetic flux is a measure of the total magnetic field passing through a given area. It is important to calculate because it helps us understand the strength and direction of magnetic fields, which can be useful in many scientific and technological applications.

2. What is the equation for calculating magnetic flux of a rod?

The equation for calculating magnetic flux of a rod is Φ = B * A * cos(θ), where Φ is magnetic flux, B is the magnetic field strength, A is the cross-sectional area of the rod, and θ is the angle between the magnetic field and the normal to the area.

3. How do I determine the angle θ for calculating magnetic flux?

The angle θ can be determined by visualizing a right triangle with one side parallel to the magnetic field and the other side perpendicular to the area. The angle θ can then be found using trigonometric functions or measured using a protractor.

4. Can the magnetic flux of a rod be negative?

Yes, the magnetic flux of a rod can be negative. This occurs when the angle θ is greater than 90 degrees and cos(θ) becomes negative in the equation Φ = B * A * cos(θ). This negative flux indicates that the magnetic field is directed away from the area instead of passing through it.

5. How can I use the calculated magnetic flux of a rod in practical applications?

The calculated magnetic flux of a rod can be used to determine the induced voltage in a coil of wire placed around the rod, which can be useful in designing electric generators and motors. It can also be used to study the behavior of magnetic materials and to evaluate the efficiency of magnetic shielding materials.