Calculating Mean Free Path of N2 Molecule in UHV Chamber

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
albega
Messages
74
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


What is the mean free path of an N2 molecule in an ultra-high-vacuum chamber at a pressure of 10-10mbar?

Homework Equations


λ=1/(√2)nσ
number density n, collision cross-section σ
p=nkT
pressure p, temperature T
σ=πd2
d molecular diameter

The Attempt at a Solution


λ=kT/(√2)πpd2
where we know p and I can estimate d to be around 10-10m. However I am not given T, and I don't really see how I could know what it is...
 
Physics news on Phys.org
albega said:
However I am not given T, and I don't really see how I could know what it is.
At which point, you're free to assume a temperature. What's a good standard temperature for reference data?