Calculating Minimal Distance between Two Protons in Motion

In summary, the problem involves determining the minimal distance between two protons, one of which is initially moving at a speed v from infinity while the other is stationary. To solve this, the conservation laws of energy, linear momentum, and angular momentum can be utilized. By setting up equations using these laws, the velocity of the second proton and the minimal distance between them can be calculated.
kuokius

Homework Statement

A proton is moving at speed v from infinity toward a second stationary proton, as shown below. Determine the minimal distance between them.

http://s27.postimg.org/lmw3d21j7/Untitled.png

Homework Equations

[tex] W = \frac{kq_1q_2}{r} [/tex]
[tex] E_k = \frac{mv^2}{2} [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Let's say that the minimal distance between two protons is x and at that moment their speeds are v_1. Then the initial energy would be E_1 and the final E_2:
[tex]E_1 = \frac{mv^2}{2} [/tex]
[tex] E_2 = \frac{ke^2}{x} + mv_1^2 [/tex]
According to the law of conservation of energy: [tex] E_1 = E_2 [/tex]
And now I just don't know how to find the speed v_1.

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you think of any other conserved quantities?

Maybe an electric field or potential will remain constant at some point?

So, I see that I can use conservation law of linear momentum. But how to include a given distance r?

kuokius said:
I see that I can use conservation law of linear momentum.
good

kuokius said:
But how to include a given distance r?

that was my problem too...
been away from solving any of these for, well 50 plus years,

amazing I can remember my own name!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Momentum#Conservation

"If the velocities of the particles are u1 and u2 before the interaction, and afterwards they arev1 and v2, then

dccfa0969fdbd08e06981e85f2813970.png
"

Think about whether you can use these as a second set of equations...m's are all the same, only proton is moving initially, right?? two equations, two velocity unknowns

the stationary proton accelerates, reaches some velocity which you'll know...
so you'll need another equation relating velocity to minimal distance...unsure what that is

Is the second proton free to move or is its location fixed? I think you're supposed to assume the latter.

Likes alw34
vela said:
I think you're supposed to assume the latter.

Of course...duh!
thank you

vela said:
Is the second proton free to move or is its location fixed? I think you're supposed to assume the latter.
Yes, the second proton is fixed. Then I suppose I could use conservation law of angular momentum.

kuokius said:
Yes, the second proton is fixed. Then I suppose I could use conservation law of angular momentum.
Yes, but only if you choose the axis carefully.
Linear momentum is not conserved because the second proton is being held in place by some external force. How do you avoid that being a problem for angular momentum?

Let's say I choose an axis going through the second proton which is fixed. Vector of electrical force creating external forces momentum goes through the axis, so the momentum of external forces equals zero. Then the initial and final angular moments would be:

[tex] L_i = mvr [/tex]
[tex] L_f = mv_1x [/tex]
[tex] L_i = L_f [/tex]

According to the law of conservation of energy:

[tex] \frac{mv^2}{2} = \frac{mv_1^2}{2} + \frac{ke^2}{x} [/tex]
Am I right?

kuokius said:
Let's say I choose an axis going through the second proton which is fixed. Vector of electrical force creating external forces momentum goes through the axis, so the momentum of external forces equals zero. Then the initial and final angular moments would be:

[tex] L_i = mvr [/tex]
[tex] L_f = mv_1x [/tex]
[tex] L_i = L_f [/tex]

According to the law of conservation of energy:

[tex] \frac{mv^2}{2} = \frac{mv_1^2}{2} + \frac{ke^2}{x} [/tex]
Am I right?
Looks right.

Likes kuokius
kuokius said:
Vector of electrical force creating external forces momentum goes through the axis, so the momentum of external forces equals zero.
This doesn't really make sense. I know what you're trying to say, but what you've written is nonsense.

Related to Calculating Minimal Distance between Two Protons in Motion

What is meant by "proton moving from infinity"?

"Proton moving from infinity" refers to the movement of a proton from an infinite distance away to a designated location. This concept is often used in physics and chemistry to study the behavior of particles in different environments.

Why is it important to study the movement of protons from infinity?

Studying the movement of protons from infinity can help us understand the behavior and interactions of particles in different systems and environments. It can also provide insights into fundamental physical and chemical processes.

How does the movement of a proton from infinity differ from other types of movement?

The movement of a proton from infinity differs from other types of movement because it starts from an infinite distance away, which means it has no initial velocity or acceleration. This type of movement is often used to study the initial behavior of particles in a system.

What factors affect the movement of a proton from infinity?

The movement of a proton from infinity can be affected by various factors, such as the presence of other particles, electromagnetic fields, and the nature of the medium it is moving through. These factors can alter the trajectory and speed of the proton.

How is the movement of a proton from infinity calculated or measured?

The movement of a proton from infinity can be calculated or measured using mathematical equations and experimental techniques, such as particle accelerators, spectroscopy, and quantum mechanical models. These methods allow scientists to track and analyze the path and behavior of protons in different scenarios.