Calculating Moment of Inertia for an 80kg Plank on Two Workers' Shoulders

In summary, the question asks for the moment of inertia of an 80kg plank held by two workers with a weight distribution of 55% carried by the first worker. Two methods were used to solve it, with the first one resulting in a moment of inertia of 161 kgm^2 and the second one resulting in a moment of inertia of 230 kg/m^2. The second method was not applicable due to assuming a uniform distribution of mass, while the first method was correct. There is no method using integration for this circumstance without knowing the exact distribution of mass.
jono90one
I have a question but got two different answers by two different methods. The question:
"Two workers are holding an 80kg plank, one worker let's go. The weight is carried by 55% of the first worker. It is 2.5m long and no uniform. The angular acceleration is 5.5 rads/s^2, what is the moment of inertia of the plank about the axis perpendicular to the beam at the end held by the worker."

Method 1:
τ = F x r [1] (F=mg, r=2.5 x 0.45)
τ = Iα [2]
[1]=[2]
I = 161 kgm^2

Method 2:
I = ∑mx^2/l .δx between -0.45l and 0.55l
lim δx => 0
I = ∫mx^2/l .dx between -0.45l and 0.55l
I = 2060ml^2/8000
I = 128.75 kg/m^2
Using parallel axis theorem:
I = I1 +md^2
I = 128.75 + 80(0.45x2.5)^2
=230 kg/m^2

I do not know which method is the correct one, but unsure why the other would be wrong.

Can someone help me?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Your first method looks good. Can you explain what you were doing in your second method?

Thanks for the responce, well from what i ahve been taught, i can work out the moment of inertia via integration. Though I am not 100% sure whether i can use the exact same method of the mass isn't uniform.

But the basis of the second method is work out the mass of a small piece = (m/l) δx

Then Moment of Inertia = ∑mr^2 = ∑((m/l)δx)x^2 with the appropriate limits of integration (that are in terms of l, hence l's cancle to give an l^2 term)

Then lim δx -> 0 that becomes dx and ∑ becomes ∫

Can this method not be used in this circumstance?

jono90one said:
Can this method not be used in this circumstance?
No, since it assumes a uniform distribution of mass.

Oh ok, just out of interest, is there a method with integration for this circumstance?

jono90one said:
Oh ok, just out of interest, is there a method with integration for this circumstance?
No, not that I can see. You'd need to know how the mass was distributed.

Related to Calculating Moment of Inertia for an 80kg Plank on Two Workers' Shoulders

1. What is the moment of inertia?

The moment of inertia is a physical property of a rigid body that measures its resistance to changes in rotational motion. It is also known as the angular mass or rotational inertia.

2. How is the moment of inertia calculated?

The moment of inertia is calculated by multiplying the mass of the body by the square of its distance from the axis of rotation. It is denoted by the symbol "I" and has units of kgm^2 or m^4.

3. Why is it important to check my working when calculating moment of inertia?

Checking your working when calculating the moment of inertia is important to ensure accuracy and avoid errors. This property is crucial in many areas of physics and engineering, so it is important to have correct calculations.

4. What are the different types of moment of inertia?

The three main types of moment of inertia are:

• Mass moment of inertia or rotational inertia - for rigid bodies rotating around an axis
  • Polar moment of inertia - for cylindrical or spherical bodies rotating around their central axis
  • Area moment of inertia - for planar shapes rotating around an axis within the plane

5. How does the moment of inertia affect rotational motion?

The moment of inertia affects rotational motion by determining the amount of torque needed to change the angular velocity of a rotating body. A larger moment of inertia means a greater resistance to changes in rotational motion, while a smaller moment of inertia allows for easier changes in rotational motion.