1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculating mutiple forces on a body

1. Sep 7, 2012 #1
    Hi
    I am making physics engine (computer) and i have some problems with interpretating multiple forces on one body.

http://img837.imageshack.us/img837/396/75i7i47i6.png [Broken]

On the fourth car (on right) there are two forces acting on two rear wheels, interpretation is obvious, but what when only one force is acting ? Which of these three interpretation, if any, is correct?
    How to calculate how much force is moving body and how much it is rotating it (moment) ?
    I currently use second image interpretation but i think it is not correct.

And, second question, how to calculate when mutiple forces with random angles etc are present ?
    I think somebody asked that question before: https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=222598
    but i don't understand answer he was given.
    I have force angles and forces, but i can have x and y components about any axis/angle. I need a way to calulate resultant force/moment.

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 7, 2012 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

The total net force is always the (vector) sum of the individual forces, and you can sum all x-components for the x-component and all y-components for the y-component.
    The total net torque is always the sum of all individual torques, you can simply sum them.
    Diagram 2 looks good. Keep in mind that the rotation of a car is usually determined by the position of the wheels - external torque does not matter as long as the wheels do not slide.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook