Calculating New Rotation Period of a Star After Shrinking Diameter

In summary, to find the new period of a star with a mass of 1.4 × 10^31 kg and a rotation period of 26.3 days when its diameter shrinks to 0.55 times its present size, we can use the conservation of angular momentum, which states that the initial and final angular momentums should be equal. By equating the initial and final angular momentums, we can find that the new period is 7.9 days.
Hollywood
The mass of a star is 1.4 × 10^31 kg and it performs one rotation in 26.3 day. Find its new period if the diameter suddenly shrinks to 0.55 times its present size. Assume a uniform mass distribution before and after.

I don't know what I am doing wrong here:

Iw(intial)=Iw(final)

I(intial)=(2/5)(1.4 × 10^31 kg)(1)^2
= 5.6 x 10^30

I(final)=(2/5)(1.4 × 10^31 kg/.55)(.55)^2
=9.317 x 10^29

(5.6 x 10^30)(26.3 day) = (9.317 x 10^29)(w)

w(final)=158.1 day

This answer is wrong. Can someone tell me what I am doing wrong here?
Thank You!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Hollywood!

Now I'm not ever sure of anything I say or do, but I would try to equate the initial and final angular momentums L = m * v * r since they should be conserved.
Where the tangential velocity v = (2 * pi * r )/ TSo the initial Lo = (Mo * 2pi * Ro ^2)/To
And the final Lf= (Mf * 2pi * Rf ^2)/Tf

Since the mass of your star does not change (and hopefully, neither does '2*pi'), you can just write

Tf * Ro ^2 = To * Rf ^2

Since Ro = 1 and Rf = .55

Tf = 26.3 * (.55^2) = 7.9...days

Hope that's correct!

I would first like to commend you for attempting to solve this problem using the principles of conservation of angular momentum. However, there are a few errors in your approach that may have led to the incorrect answer.

Firstly, the equation Iw(initial) = Iw(final) is only applicable for a system where the moment of inertia (I) and angular velocity (w) remain constant. In this case, the moment of inertia changes as the diameter of the star shrinks, so we cannot use this equation.

Secondly, the moment of inertia for a uniform spherical object is given by I = (2/5)mr^2, where m is the mass and r is the radius. In your calculation of I(final), you have used the mass and diameter instead of the mass and radius. This may have led to a significantly different value for the moment of inertia and hence the incorrect answer.

To correctly solve this problem, we need to use the equation for moment of inertia as I = (2/5)mr^2. Using the given mass and initial radius, we can calculate the initial moment of inertia as:

I(initial) = (2/5)(1.4 x 10^31 kg)(1)^2 = 2.8 x 10^31 kg m^2

Next, we need to calculate the final radius of the star after it shrinks to 0.55 times its initial size. This can be done by multiplying the initial radius by 0.55:

r(final) = 0.55(1) = 0.55

Now, we can use this final radius to calculate the final moment of inertia as:

I(final) = (2/5)(1.4 x 10^31 kg)(0.55)^2 = 2.1785 x 10^31 kg m^2

Finally, we can use the equation w(initial)I(initial) = w(final)I(final) to find the new rotation period (w(final)):

w(final) = (w(initial)I(initial)) / I(final)

Plugging in the values, we get:

w(final) = (2.8 x 10^31 kg m^2)(26.3 day) / (2.1785 x 10^31 kg m^2) = 33.9 day

Therefore, the new rotation period of the star after shrinking its diameter to

1. How do you calculate the new rotation period of a star after shrinking diameter?

To calculate the new rotation period of a star after shrinking diameter, you will need to know the star's original rotation period and its new diameter. Then, you can use the formula P1/P2 = (R1/R2)^2, where P1 is the original rotation period, P2 is the new rotation period, R1 is the original diameter, and R2 is the new diameter. Rearrange the formula to solve for P2 and you will have the new rotation period of the star.

2. Can the new rotation period be longer or shorter than the original rotation period?

The new rotation period can be either longer or shorter than the original rotation period, depending on the star's new diameter. If the star's diameter decreases, the new rotation period will be longer and if the diameter increases, the new rotation period will be shorter.

3. Is the calculation affected by the mass of the star?

Yes, the calculation of the new rotation period is affected by the mass of the star. This is because the mass of a star is directly related to its diameter. A more massive star will have a larger diameter, resulting in a longer rotation period.

4. Can this calculation be applied to all types of stars?

Yes, this calculation can be applied to all types of stars as long as the original rotation period and new diameter are known. However, it is important to note that the formula used may vary depending on the specific type of star being studied.

5. How accurate is this calculation in predicting the new rotation period?

The accuracy of this calculation in predicting the new rotation period depends on the accuracy of the original data used. If the original rotation period and diameter measurements are precise, then the calculated new rotation period should also be accurate. However, other factors such as changes in the star's mass or external forces may affect the actual rotation period of the star.