Calculating Solenoid Turns: Magnetic Field, Current, and Dimensions

• Thread starter Alt+F4
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Solenoid
In summary, to find the number of turns per unit length on a solenoid carrying a current of 4.9 A with a diameter of 20 cm and length of 248 cm, use the formula B=(uo)nI and solve for n. The diameter of the solenoid does not affect the calculation.
Alt+F4
(a) How many turns of wire would be on a solenoid carrying a current 4.9 A if the solenoid is 20 cm in diameter, 248 cm long, and the field at the center is 3.3 × 10-3 T?

The magnetic field of a solenoid is the permeability of free space times the number of turns per unit length times the current.

Now How do i find the Number of turns per unit length, Is it Length/Diameter * The field of Center? Thanks
and i know n = N/L so how do i find that

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Okay so Basically i tried to use N = 2RB/ (uoI) to get the answer but that does not work

Alt+F4 said:
(a) How many turns of wire would be on a solenoid carrying a current 4.9 A if the solenoid is 20 cm in diameter, 248 cm long, and the field at the center is 3.3 × 10-3 T?

The magnetic field of a solenoid is the permeability of free space times the number of turns per unit length times the current.

Now How do i find the Number of turns per unit length, Is it Length/Diameter * The field of Center? Thanks
and i know n = N/L so how do i find that
The diameter of a long solenoid does not matter. The magnetic field (ideally) is B=(uo)nI . Solve for n .

Chi Meson said:
The diameter of a long solenoid does not matter. The magnetic field (ideally) is B=(uo)nI . Solve for n .
thanks alot

What is a solenoid and how does it work?

A solenoid is an electromechanical device that converts electrical energy into linear motion. It consists of a coil of wire that produces a magnetic field when an electric current is passed through it. This magnetic field attracts a metal core, causing it to move in a linear motion.

Why is my solenoid not working?

There could be several reasons why a solenoid is not working. It could be due to a faulty power source, damaged wires, or a worn-out coil. It is important to check all components of the solenoid to determine the exact cause of the problem.

How do I troubleshoot solenoid problems?

To troubleshoot solenoid problems, you should first check the power source and make sure it is supplying the correct voltage. Next, inspect the wires for any damage or loose connections. If these components are working properly, then the solenoid coil may need to be replaced.

Can a solenoid be repaired?

In most cases, a solenoid can be repaired by replacing the damaged components, such as the coil or wires. However, if the damage is severe or the solenoid is old, it may be more cost-effective to replace the entire solenoid.

How do I choose the right solenoid for my application?

When selecting a solenoid, it is important to consider factors such as the required voltage and current, the stroke length, and the force needed for your specific application. It is also important to choose a solenoid from a reputable manufacturer to ensure quality and reliability.