Calculating the amplification of a transistor

In summary, the current through the load is equal to the current through the emitter multiplied by the amplification.
Keiner Nichts

Homework Statement

In the circuit shown below, I have to find the amplification for when the commutator which connects to the 4 kΩ resistance is open, respectively closed. We know the Beta factor to be 200, and the current through the base is negligible. The transistor is made of silicone. (Junctions conduct at 0.6 V)

y3C1yNX.jpg

Homework Equations

Av = Re/(Re+re), Av = amplification, Re = external resistance of the emitter, re = internal resistance of the emitter
re = Vt/Ic, Vt = 25 mV (constant for given temperature), Ic is one of the reasons I am asking this question.

The Attempt at a Solution

For when it's open, I only took into account the 0.2 kΩ resistance in the emitter as the current flows through the capacitor integrally. I also found the current through the collector to be approximately 2 mA, with which I calculated re and thus the amplification. Now, for when the commutator is closed, I've been told by my professor that the current is maintained on the collector part, therefore I calculated the voltage in C. Having earlier obtained a value for the voltage in B of 4V, I simply added 0.6 V. Now, knowing the voltage in C, and that it's connected to a point of 0 potential through the branch with the commutator, I applied Ohm's law to find the current through the load (the 4 kΩ resistance on said branch). Further, I applied Kirchoff 1 to find the current that actually goes to the transistor from the collector, which I found to be about 0.85 mA. I recalculated re using that value for Ic (0.85 mA). Re remained the same.
I want to know if my method is correct, and a bit of a hint on how to get it right if it's not. (Which is rather likely, I am a Physics major so this subject makes less sense to me than most.)

Physics news on Phys.org
Keiner Nichts said:
therefore I calculated the voltage in C. Having earlier obtained a value for the voltage in B of 4V, I simply added 0.6 V.
This is not correct for voltage at C. If you need to find it, the DC voltage at C is found as Vcc – IcRc.

It is not satisfactory to write a narrative about your calculations, we need to see them. Please attach a neat copy of your calculations (or compose it using Latex).

Likes Keiner Nichts
Oh, thank you, with that, I have managed to correctly determine the amplification without the load, as being -Rc/(Re+re). Now, Rc seems to be tied in parallel with the load because they have the same voltage difference on them. I am wondering, if Rc's resistance would not be equal to the load's, would them being tied in parallel still hold true?

When considering midband AC, the load is parallel to RC regardless of the ohmic values.

Likes Keiner Nichts
Thanks a bunch!

NascentOxygen said:
When considering midband AC, the load is parallel to RC regardless of the ohmic values.
Because current from the collector sees 2 independent paths to ground: (i) through the low impedance coupling capacitor and then RL to ground, or (ii) through RC and then through the low AC impedance to ground inside the low internal resistance of the ideal voltage source.

Likes Keiner Nichts

1. How is the amplification of a transistor calculated?

The amplification of a transistor is calculated by dividing the output voltage by the input voltage. This is known as the gain or voltage amplification. It can also be calculated by dividing the output current by the input current, known as the current amplification.

2. What factors affect the amplification of a transistor?

The amplification of a transistor is affected by several factors including the type and design of the transistor, the input and output voltages, the biasing point, and the load resistance. Temperature and aging of the transistor can also affect its amplification.

3. Can the amplification of a transistor be negative?

Yes, the amplification of a transistor can be negative. This occurs when the output voltage is out of phase with the input voltage, resulting in a decrease in voltage or current. This type of amplification is known as inversion and is commonly used in certain types of amplifiers.

4. How do you choose the appropriate transistor for a specific amplification task?

The appropriate transistor for a specific amplification task should be chosen based on its amplification characteristics, power handling capabilities, and frequency range. The transistor should also be able to operate within the required voltage and current ranges for the given task.

5. Can the amplification of a transistor be increased?

Yes, the amplification of a transistor can be increased by adjusting the biasing point, using a parallel connection of transistors, or using feedback circuits. However, increasing the amplification beyond a certain point can lead to distortion and other negative effects, so it is important to carefully consider the desired amplification level for a given task.