Calculating the electric field

In summary, the homework statement is to calculate the resultant electric field acting on some point. The electric field is generated by a long thin rod and the line charge density is given. The homework equations are to calculate the radial component of the field due to charge between two points. Notice that cos alpha is equal to x/r, r^2=x^2+z^2, and dq=\lambda\; dz. The calculation is easy to set up if you remember that dl is the length of the line segment between z and z+dz.
diredragon
IMG_1565.JPG
IMG_1564.JPG
1. Homework Statement

Calculate the resultant electric field acting on some point ##x##. The electric field is generated by a long thin rod and the line charge density is given. ##p_l=\frac{dQ}{dL}##

Homework Equations

3. The Attempt at a Solution [/B]
I have uploaded two images, one of the problem and one of my solution. My problem is the following. When i calculate the ##dL## part my solutions differs from the one given in the book. Can someone take a look at the?
just a little edit: in the picture you see ##pldl##it is actually ##p_ldl##

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You seem to be defining dl to be the length of the line segment between ##z## and ##z+dz## (top diagram) ... but surely that is just ##dz##? Why change the name?
Looking at your dl then ... actually I think that may work ... you'd get ##dl = x\;d\alpha / \cos^2\alpha## or something...
Some of the other expressions in the first pic do not work... like ##r\; d\alpha \cos\alpha = dl## is not true, and I don't see how you did ##r=\sqrt{\alpha_0^2+z^2}##

Why are you trying to do the integration wrt ##\alpha## anyway?

Go back a bit: at position x, the radial component of the field due to charge ##dq## between ##z## and ##z+dz## is:
##dE_x = (dq/r^2)\cos\alpha## (using your diagrams).

Notice that ##\cos\alpha = x/r##, ##r^2=x^2+z^2##, and ##dq = \lambda\; dz##
... where ##\lambda## is the linear charge density. now the calculation is easy to set up.

Last edited:
Simon Bridge said:
You seem to be defining dl to be the length of the line segment between ##z## and ##z+dz## (top diagram) ... but surely that is just ##dz##? Why change the name?
Looking at your dl then ... actually I think that may work ... you'd get ##dl = x\;d\alpha / \cos^2\alpha## or something...
Some of the other expressions in the first pic do not work... like ##r\; d\alpha \cos\alpha = dl## is not true, and I don't see how you did ##r=\sqrt{\alpha_0^2+z^2}##

Why are you trying to do the integration wrt ##\alpha## anyway?

Go back a bit: at position x, the radial component of the field due to charge ##dq## between ##z## and ##z+dz## is:
##dE_x = (dq/r^2)\cos\alpha## (using your diagrams).

Notice that ##\cos\alpha = x/r##, ##r^2=x^2+z^2##, and ##dq = \lambda\; dz##
... where ##\lambda## is the linear charge density. now the calculation is easy to set up.
Oh yeah i see..i was looking at the small segment wrong and that's ##x_0## in the square root, I just wrote it funny, sorry bout that and thanks! :)

Likes Simon Bridge

1. What is the formula for calculating the electric field?

The formula for calculating the electric field is E = kQ/r^2, where E is the electric field, k is the Coulomb's constant (8.99 x 10^9 Nm^2/C^2), Q is the charge of the object creating the field, and r is the distance from the object to the point where the electric field is being measured.

2. How do I determine the direction of the electric field?

The direction of the electric field is determined by the direction of the force that a positive test charge would experience if placed at that point. The direction of the electric field is always away from positively charged objects and towards negatively charged objects.

3. Can the electric field be negative?

Yes, the electric field can be negative. This usually happens when the direction of the electric field is opposite to the direction of the force that a positive test charge would experience.

4. How does distance affect the strength of the electric field?

The strength of the electric field decreases as the distance from the source increases. This relationship is inversely proportional, meaning that as the distance doubles, the electric field strength decreases by a factor of four.

5. What is the unit of measurement for the electric field?

The unit of measurement for the electric field is newtons per coulomb (N/C) in the SI system. In other systems, it can also be measured in volts per meter (V/m).