1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculating the electric field

1. Oct 7, 2016 #1

diredragon

Gold Member

IMG_1565.JPG IMG_1564.JPG 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Calculate the resultant electric field acting on some point ##x##. The electric field is generated by a long thin rod and the line charge density is given. ##p_l=\frac{dQ}{dL}##
    2. Relevant equations
    3. The attempt at a solution

I have uploaded two images, one of the problem and one of my solution. My problem is the following. When i calculate the ##dL## part my solutions differs from the one given in the book. Can someone take a look at the?
    just a little edit: in the picture you see ##pldl##it is actually ##p_ldl##

Last edited: Oct 7, 2016
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 7, 2016 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

You seem to be defining dl to be the length of the line segment between ##z## and ##z+dz## (top diagram) ... but surely that is just ##dz##? Why change the name?
    Looking at your dl then ... actually I think that may work ... you'd get ##dl = x\;d\alpha / \cos^2\alpha## or something...
    Some of the other expressions in the first pic do not work... like ##r\; d\alpha \cos\alpha = dl## is not true, and I don't see how you did ##r=\sqrt{\alpha_0^2+z^2}##

Why are you trying to do the integration wrt ##\alpha## anyway?

Go back a bit: at position x, the radial component of the field due to charge ##dq## between ##z## and ##z+dz## is:
    ##dE_x = (dq/r^2)\cos\alpha## (using your diagrams).

Notice that ##\cos\alpha = x/r##, ##r^2=x^2+z^2##, and ##dq = \lambda\; dz##
    ... where ##\lambda## is the linear charge density. now the calculation is easy to set up.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2016
  4. Oct 7, 2016 #3

diredragon

Gold Member

Oh yeah i see..i was looking at the small segment wrong and thats ##x_0## in the square root, I just wrote it funny, sorry bout that and thanks! :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted