Calculating the period of a pendulum

In summary: What you have is the angular velocity at the bottom, ω. Hence, the equation becomes, w = sqrt(2*m*g*h*ω) Substituting into the period T = 2*pi*sqrt(I/[2*m*g*h]), I obtain T = 2*pi* sqrt(I/[2*m*g*h*(ω*ω0)]
dummybbmm
Let the moment of inertia of a pendulum be I and the distance from pivot to the center of gravity of the pendulum, D. Use the conversation of energy principle to show that the period of this pendulum is 2 * pi * sqrt(I / [M*g*D]).

My attempt is as follows,

I, displace the pendulum by small angle theta. Let, h, be the vertical displacement of the center of mass. The potential energy of the displaced pendulum equates to kinetic energy at the bottom. (w is omega)

Hence, m*g*h = 1/2 * I * w^2

When I rearrange the terms of this equation, I obtain, w = sqrt(2*m*g*h/I)

Substituting into the period T = 2*pi / w, I obtain T = 2*pi* sqrt(I/[2*m*g*h])

I am stuck here because I do not know how to eliminate h from the equation. Can anybody help me here? It would be very much appreciated. My apologies for the lack of latex as I am not familiar with that syntax.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi dummybbmm! :smile:

(have a pi: π and an theta: θ and an omega: ω and a square-root: √ and try using the X2 tag just above the Reply box :wink:)
dummybbmm said:
I, displace the pendulum by small angle theta. Let, h, be the vertical displacement of the center of mass. The potential energy of the displaced pendulum equates to kinetic energy at the bottom. (w is omega)

Hence, m*g*h = 1/2 * I * w^2

When I rearrange the terms of this equation, I obtain, w = sqrt(2*m*g*h/I)

Substituting into the period T = 2*pi / w, I obtain T = 2*pi* sqrt(I/[2*m*g*h])

I am stuck here because I do not know how to eliminate h from the equation. Can anybody help me here? It would be very much appreciated. My apologies for the lack of latex as I am not familiar with that syntax.

Isn't h the same as D?

But I don't think you have the correct formula … your ω is the angular velocity at the bottom, not the ω in the θ = θ0sinωt formula.

Thanks tiny-tim, you're a lifesaver.

As you said, the ω is not the same ω in the θ = θ0sinωt formula.

What factors affect the period of a pendulum?

The period of a pendulum is affected by the length of the pendulum, the mass of the bob, and the acceleration due to gravity (on Earth, this is approximately 9.8 m/s²). The amplitude (the distance the pendulum swings from its starting point) also affects the period, but to a lesser extent.

How do I calculate the period of a pendulum?

The period of a pendulum can be calculated using the formula T = 2π√(L/g), where T is the period in seconds, L is the length of the pendulum in meters, and g is the acceleration due to gravity in m/s². Alternatively, there are online calculators and mobile apps that can help you calculate the period.

Why does the period of a pendulum stay the same?

The period of a pendulum stays the same because of the law of conservation of energy. As the pendulum swings, it converts potential energy (due to its height) into kinetic energy (due to its motion). This continuous conversion of energy keeps the period of the pendulum constant.

How does the period of a pendulum change if the length is changed?

The period of a pendulum is directly proportional to the square root of its length. This means that if the length of the pendulum is increased, the period will also increase. Similarly, if the length is decreased, the period will decrease. This relationship is known as the "square root law" of pendulums.

Can the period of a pendulum be affected by external factors?

Yes, the period of a pendulum can be affected by external factors such as air resistance, friction, and the material of the pendulum's string. These factors can slightly alter the period, but their effects are usually negligible for most practical purposes.