Calculating the required energy for throwing a tennis ball into space

In summary, the conversation discussed the hypothetical scenario of throwing a tennis ball into space and the amount of energy required to do so. The problem was described as a simple conservation of energy problem, but becomes more complex when considering atmospheric drag. The equation for escape velocity was provided, as well as the equation for determining the energy required to reach that velocity. The units of the variables were also discussed. The conversation also touched on the concept of throwing a tennis ball into orbit around the Earth, with the velocity required for such an orbit and the additional speed needed for it to not return to its starting point.
robotleckie
hello

i would really like to figure out the amount of energy one would reuqire to throw a tennis ball into space hypothetically speaking? i understand that this is impossible but i would like to find out anyway. i would be very grateful if anybody could help me with this.

thankyou

Physics news on Phys.org
If we are ignoring drag, the the problem is rather elementary, just a simple conservation of energy problem. However, if we wish to include drag; then the situation is somewhat more complex.

If by "into space", you mean such that it doesn't fall back to Earth, then one way is to find the escape velocity from the Earth,

[tex]v= \sqrt \frac{2GM}{r}[/tex]
where
G = the gravitational constant
M = the mass of the Earth
r = the radius of the Earth

and then determine the amount of energy that it would take to get your tennis ball up to that speed,

[tex]E= \frac{mv^2}{2}[/tex]

where
m = the mass of the tennis ball.

This is ignoring atmospheric drag.

thankyou

hello

thankyou very much, this is very helpful. being a real novice could i ask you what the units of E, m and v are in the second equation? and also, how would could find out the amount of energy required to throw the ball into orbit rather than away from earth? thankyou again.

robotleckie said:
hello

thankyou very much, this is very helpful. being a real novice could i ask you what the units of E, m and v are in the second equation? and also, how would could find out the amount of energy required to throw the ball into orbit rather than away from earth? thankyou again.

They should be the same as in the first equation. They could be ergs, grams and centimeters/sec or joules, kilograms and meters/sec, Just be consistant with which set you use.

As for throwing a tennis ball into orbit, it depends on the orbit. If you could ignore air resistance and irregularities in the surface of the Earth (mountains, etc), you could get an object into orbit around the Earth, just above its surface, with a velocity of somewhere around 7900 meters per sec. If you throw it harder it will rise higher, but it will still return to where you threw it from. To get it into an orbit that does not return to the point where it started, you would have to give it another additional amopunt of speed at some point after it has left your hand. (the best point would be at the furthest point of its orbit.)

Related to Calculating the required energy for throwing a tennis ball into space

1. What would happen to a tennis ball in space?

In the vacuum of space, a tennis ball would float and maintain its shape due to the lack of gravity. It would also be unaffected by air resistance, allowing it to travel in a straight line until it encounters another object.

2. Can a tennis ball be used as a propellant in space?

Yes, in theory, a tennis ball could be used as a propellant in space. By throwing the ball in one direction, the equal and opposite force would propel the object in the opposite direction, following Newton's Third Law of Motion. However, the force produced by a tennis ball would be very small and not practical for space travel.

3. How would a tennis ball behave in zero gravity?

In zero gravity, a tennis ball would float and maintain its shape, just like any other object in space. It would not experience the force of gravity pulling it towards the ground, allowing it to float and move freely in any direction.

4. Would a tennis ball explode in space?

No, a tennis ball would not explode in space. Explosions require oxygen, and since space is a vacuum, there is no oxygen present. However, the pressure inside the ball may change due to the lack of atmospheric pressure, causing it to expand or contract.

5. How does the lack of gravity in space affect the bounce of a tennis ball?

In space, the lack of gravity would affect the bounce of a tennis ball. Without gravity pulling the ball towards the ground, it would not experience the same force when it hits a surface. This would result in a slower and shorter bounce compared to on Earth.