Calculating Torque for a Robot Wheel: Mass, Acceleration, and Constant Velocity

In summary, the torque needed for the driving motor of a robot is determined by using the equation torque = r * F, where r is the distance from the point of force applied and F is the force applied. For a wheel with a mass of 3kg and a diameter of 0.0381m, the torque required to turn the wheel is 1.12Nm. However, this may seem high for such a small mass, so further calculations may be necessary. When the wheel is accelerating at a rate of 1.47m/s^2, the torque needed can be calculated using the same equation. And when the wheel reaches a constant velocity of 5 m/s, the torque required is zero, as there is
elimenohpee

Homework Statement

You are given a robot, and you are asked to design the torque needed for the driving motor. What is the torque to turn a wheel who's mass of the system connected to the rim is 3kg, and the diameter of the rim is 0.0381m?

What is the torque when the wheel accelerates at a rate of 1.47m/s^2? What is the torque when the wheel reaches a constant velocity of 5 m/s?

The Attempt at a Solution

I know torque = force * distance = mass * acceleration * distance

I figured the torque to turn the wheel would be:
torque = m*g*r = 3*9.81*0.0381 = 1.12Nm (but this sounds like a lot for such a small mass)

but I'm not sure what to do when the wheel is to accelerate. And I'm lost what to do when the acceleration is zero, aka constant velocity.

Physics news on Phys.org
elimenohpee said:
I know torque = force * distance = mass * acceleration * distance

I figured the torque to turn the wheel would be:
torque = m*g*r = 3*9.81*0.0381 = 1.12Nm (but this sounds like a lot for such a small mass)

but I'm not sure what to do when the wheel is to accelerate. And I'm lost what to do when the acceleration is zero, aka constant velocity.

sorry but...your torque equation is wrong
remember that torque is r X F not r * F
r X F is also rFsin(theta), with theta as the angle between them
also that r is not the diameter of the wheel
it's the distance from the point of force applied
since it is a wheel, u can tpretty much use the center for axis of rotation and the distance to where it spins is yyour r

Yes I'm aware that, the angle between the vectors was assumed to be pi/2. And that distance given was the radius of the wheel, since the force is assumed to applied at the center of the rim.

Related to Calculating Torque for a Robot Wheel: Mass, Acceleration, and Constant Velocity

What is torque?

Torque is a measure of the rotational force applied to an object. It is a combination of the force applied and the distance from the axis of rotation.

How is torque calculated?

Torque is calculated by multiplying the force applied by the distance from the axis of rotation. The formula for torque is T = F x r, where T is torque, F is force, and r is the distance from the axis of rotation.

What is the unit of measurement for torque?

The unit of measurement for torque is Newton-meters (Nm) in the SI system, or foot-pounds (ft-lb) in the English system.

How is torque related to turning a wheel?

When turning a wheel, the torque applied to the axle causes the wheel to rotate. The larger the torque, the faster the wheel will turn.

What factors affect the amount of torque needed to turn a wheel?

The amount of torque needed to turn a wheel depends on the radius of the wheel, the weight of the load, and the friction between the wheel and the surface it is turning on. The larger the wheel, the heavier the load, and the greater the friction, the more torque will be required to turn the wheel.