Calculating Vector Equilibrants

• Thread starter Anester
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Vector
In summary, the question posed is how to find the equilibrant for a system of vectors, specifically given a resultant of 223.6 with an angle of 63.4 degrees. The person asking the question has already found the resultant but is unsure of how to calculate the equilibrant. They may have meant the Cartesian Equivalent, but the correct term is Equilibrant - a vector with the same magnitude as the resultant but in the opposite direction. They were able to figure out the process for finding the resultant through trial and error and have created an Excel step by step for their son to use, but now need to memorize the formulas.
Anester
Find Vector Equilibrant

Homework Statement

Add 100 N 0 deg and 200 N 90 deg

Homework Equations

Resultant results of R= 223.6 63.4 deg

The Attempt at a Solution

I have found the resultant, no idea how to calculate the Equilibrant.

HELP Please

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Anester said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

I have found the resultant, no idea how to calculate the Equilbrant.

HELP Please

Right now, my computer shows Equilbrant with a red squiggle under it, indicating incorrect spelling. What word were you trying for here?

Anester said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

I have found the resultant, no idea how to calculate the Equilbrant.

HELP Please

Did you by chance mean the Cartesian Equivalent? (100, 200) ?

Don't know what a Cartesian Equivalent is, but the correct spelling is Equilibrant.

Basically, getting back to where I started, I quess.

Equilibrant (still get the red squiggles), a vector with the same magnitude as the resultant with opposite direction.

I was able to figure out the process for the Resultant through a convoluted process of using a Vector Adding script then backed into the steps with other data I found on the web.

This actually helped to have the answer since I was able to trial/error the process. Next fun task was building a Excel step by step for my son; now he needs to memorize the formulas.

1. What is a vector equilibrant?

A vector equilibrant is a vector that has the same magnitude as the resultant vector, but points in the opposite direction. It is the vector needed to balance out the other vectors and achieve equilibrium.

2. How do you find the vector equilibrant?

To find the vector equilibrant, you must first determine the magnitude and direction of the resultant vector. Then, use the Pythagorean theorem and trigonometric functions to calculate the magnitude and direction of the equilibrant vector.

3. What is the purpose of finding the vector equilibrant?

The purpose of finding the vector equilibrant is to achieve equilibrium in a system of forces. This is useful in analyzing and predicting the behavior of structures, machines, and other systems.

4. Can there be more than one vector equilibrant?

No, there can only be one vector equilibrant for a given system of forces. This is because the equilibrant vector must have the same magnitude and opposite direction as the resultant vector.

5. How does the vector equilibrant affect the resultant force?

The vector equilibrant cancels out the resultant force, resulting in a net force of zero. This means that the system is in equilibrium and will not move or accelerate in any direction.