Calculating wavelength of light

In summary, the maximum wavelength of light capable of removing 1 mole of electrons from an atom on the surface of rubidium metal is 3.461e-19 meters, using the equation E = hc/lambda with h=6.626e-34 and c=2.9979e8. This assumes that the 208.4 kJ of energy is from identical wavelength photons with just enough energy to remove the electron.
viper2308

Homework Statement

It takes 208.4 kJ of energy to remove 1 mole of electrons from an atom on the surface of rubidium metal.
What is the maximum wavelength of light capable of doing this?

Homework Equations

Ephotons=hc/lambda

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know the energy of the photon. I know h=6.626e-34, c=2.9979e8
I'm trying to find lambda but w/o the Ephoton I don't how to solve the equation.I found the energy to remove a single electron which is 3.461e-19.

Physics news on Phys.org
If you assume that the 208.4kJ was from identical wavelength photons of just the minimum energy to remove the electron, you could work out the energy per photon then use E = hc/lambda to work out the wavelength.

Thank You, I was using the wrong energy.

1. What is the formula for calculating wavelength of light?

The formula for calculating wavelength of light is: wavelength = speed of light / frequency.

2. How do you determine the speed of light?

The speed of light is a constant value of 299,792,458 meters per second in a vacuum. It can also be measured using specialized instruments or through experiments involving the refraction or reflection of light.

3. What is the unit of measurement for wavelength of light?

The unit of measurement for wavelength of light is meters (m) or nanometers (nm).

4. Can the wavelength of light be calculated for all types of light?

Yes, the wavelength of light can be calculated for all types of electromagnetic radiation, including visible light, radio waves, microwaves, infrared, ultraviolet, X-rays, and gamma rays.

5. How does the frequency of light affect its wavelength?

The frequency of light and its wavelength are inversely proportional. This means that as the frequency increases, the wavelength decreases, and vice versa. This relationship is described by the formula: wavelength ∝ 1/frequency.