1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculation of Mass

1. Jan 29, 2012 #1

MacLaddy

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The density of Benzene at 15 degrees Celsius is [itex]0.8787 \frac{g}{mL}[/itex] Calculate the mass of 0.1500 L of Benzene at this temperature.

2. Relevant equations

[itex]Density=\frac{mass}{volume}[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution

The part of this problem that is throwing me off is the g/mL, and L measurements. What is have done is I took the density and multiplied it by 1000 to get g/L instead of g/mL. The equation then looked like this.

[itex]878.7\frac{g}{L} = \frac{mass}{0.1500L}\rightarrow
    878.7(0.1500)=mass\rightarrow
    131.805g = mass[/itex]

I'm not sure if I am correct with that result, but even if I am I believe I am making a mistake with how I distribute L and g/mL across my multiplication. Any advice on this problem would be appreciated.

Mac

Last edited: Jan 29, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 30, 2012 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

You did OK. You could as well convert volume to mL (0.1500L = 150.0mL) - final result would be identical.

4. Jan 31, 2012 #3

MacLaddy

Gold Member

Thanks for the double-check, Borek.

I realized what was confusing me so badly. I knew that if I multiplied L by 1000 I could get mL, yet I was seeing that I also needed to multiply my g/mL by 1000 to get g/L. I was thinking, "how can I multiply both by 1000, shouldn't I be dividing one of the figures?" Anyhow, it finally dawned on me, it's g/mL, not just mL.

Thanks again.
    Mac

Last edited: Jan 31, 2012
  5. Jan 31, 2012 #4

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Quite the opposite - mL has to be divided by 1000 to be converted to L. Using dimensional analysis:

[tex] 10\ \text{mL} = 10\ \text{mL}\frac{1\ \text{L}}{1000\ \text{mL}} = 0.01\ \text{L}[/tex]

6. Jan 31, 2012 #5

MacLaddy

Gold Member

You're correct, Borek, and I misspoke. I was actually referring to multiplying L by 1000, as in your post here,

I've corrected the error in that post.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook