How to Calculate the Mass of Benzene at 15 Degrees Celsius?

In summary: However, I do understand the dimensional analysis and actually used it to get the correct answer. I appreciate your taking the time to respond, though.In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the mass of 0.1500 L of Benzene at 15 degrees Celsius, given a density of 0.8787 g/mL. The solution involves converting the volume to mL and using dimensional analysis to find the mass, which is equal to 131.805 g.
MacLaddy
Gold Member

Homework Statement

The density of Benzene at 15 degrees Celsius is [itex]0.8787 \frac{g}{mL}[/itex] Calculate the mass of 0.1500 L of Benzene at this temperature.

Homework Equations

[itex]Density=\frac{mass}{volume}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

The part of this problem that is throwing me off is the g/mL, and L measurements. What is have done is I took the density and multiplied it by 1000 to get g/L instead of g/mL. The equation then looked like this.

[itex]878.7\frac{g}{L} = \frac{mass}{0.1500L}\rightarrow
878.7(0.1500)=mass\rightarrow
131.805g = mass[/itex]

I'm not sure if I am correct with that result, but even if I am I believe I am making a mistake with how I distribute L and g/mL across my multiplication. Any advice on this problem would be appreciated.

Mac

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You did OK. You could as well convert volume to mL (0.1500L = 150.0mL) - final result would be identical.

Thanks for the double-check, Borek.

I realized what was confusing me so badly. I knew that if I multiplied L by 1000 I could get mL, yet I was seeing that I also needed to multiply my g/mL by 1000 to get g/L. I was thinking, "how can I multiply both by 1000, shouldn't I be dividing one of the figures?" Anyhow, it finally dawned on me, it's g/mL, not just mL.

Thanks again.
Mac

Last edited:
MacLaddy said:
I knew that if I multiplied mL by 1000 I could get L

Quite the opposite - mL has to be divided by 1000 to be converted to L. Using dimensional analysis:

[tex] 10\ \text{mL} = 10\ \text{mL}\frac{1\ \text{L}}{1000\ \text{mL}} = 0.01\ \text{L}[/tex]

You're correct, Borek, and I misspoke. I was actually referring to multiplying L by 1000, as in your post here,

Borek said:
You did OK. You could as well convert volume to mL (0.1500L = 150.0mL) - final result would be identical.

I've corrected the error in that post.

1. How do you calculate the mass of an object?

The mass of an object can be calculated by dividing its weight by the acceleration due to gravity. This can be represented by the formula: mass = weight / acceleration due to gravity.

2. What is the unit of measurement for mass?

The unit of measurement for mass is typically kilograms (kg) in the metric system, or pounds (lbs) in the imperial system.

3. How is mass different from weight?

Mass and weight are often used interchangeably, but they are actually different concepts. Mass is a measure of the amount of matter in an object, while weight is a measure of the force exerted on an object due to gravity.

4. How do you calculate the mass of an irregularly shaped object?

The mass of an irregularly shaped object can be calculated by measuring its volume and density. The formula for calculating mass is: mass = density x volume. However, if the object is too large or complex to measure its volume directly, it can be divided into smaller, regular shapes whose volumes can be easily calculated and then added together to find the total volume.

5. Can mass be negative?

No, mass cannot be negative. Mass is a physical property that represents the amount of matter in an object, and matter cannot have a negative quantity. However, if an object is in motion, its velocity can be negative, which can result in a negative weight (not mass) due to the force of gravity.