Calculation of the black hole horizon's surface

In summary, the formula for calculating the surface of the horizon for an arbitrary black hole in more than 4 dimensions is given by substituting the square root of the tangential component of the metric into the formula for the boundary of a higher dimensional sphere. This has been tested and confirmed for various black hole solutions and is based on the concept of measuring surfaces using local rulers.
PhysiSmo
Hi everyone!

I'm looking for a way to calculate the horizon's surface for an arbitrary black hole in more than 4 dimensions. For example, if one has a metric of the form

[tex] ds^2=A(r)dt^2+B(r)dr^2+C(r)d\Omega_d^2,[/tex]

where [tex]A(r),B(r),C(r)[/tex] various functions and [tex]d[/tex] the spacetime dimension, how can one calculate the surface of the horizon, given that the horizon is at position [tex]r=r_0.[/tex]

Such cases occur in supersymmetric generalizations of various black holes (extremal Reissner Nordstrom for example) in more dimensions, say, 5.

Thank you in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
PhysiSmo said:
Hi everyone!

I'm looking for a way to calculate the horizon's surface for an arbitrary black hole in more than 4 dimensions. For example, if one has a metric of the form

[tex] ds^2=A(r)dt^2+B(r)dr^2+C(r)d\Omega_d^2,[/tex]

where [tex]A(r),B(r),C(r)[/tex] various functions and [tex]d[/tex] the spacetime dimension, how can one calculate the surface of the horizon, given that the horizon is at position [tex]r=r_0.[/tex]

Such cases occur in supersymmetric generalizations of various black holes (extremal Reissner Nordstrom for example) in more dimensions, say, 5.

Thank you in advance!

If by "surface" you mean the boundary of the sphere, that has a 2-D area for ordinary 3-D space, but a 3-D volume for a 4-D space and so on.

I'll assume that the tangential part should have been notated as [itex]C(r) r^2 d\Omega_d^2[/itex] as in that case all of the metric factors are dimensionless and typically start from 1 at a distance.

In the above metric, for the ordinary static 3-D space plus time case, I think that only the term [itex]C(r_0) r^2[/itex] matters. The square root of this is the effective radius multiplied by the tangential metric, so all we have to do to get the surface is substitute that square root expression into the standard formula for the surface area of a sphere.

I'd guess (somewhat optimistically, perhaps) that if you substitute [itex](\sqrt{C(r_0)} r_0)[/itex] into the formula for the boundary of a higher dimensional sphere, that would give the corresponding result. For example, if the boundary of a sphere in 4-dimensional space is [itex]2 \pi^2 r^3[/itex] (which I vaguely remember it might well be) then the surface in this case would be [itex]2 \pi^2 C(r_0)^{3/2} {r_0}^3}[/itex].

However, I'm really out of my depth here, so I can only hope that the above vague ideas might be useful.

Thank you for your answer! The formula you provided is pretty correct, it passed many tests including 4d and 5d Schwarschild, Reissner Nordstrom, Supersymmetric generalizations of etc. So I guess that it should be correct.

Any ideas where does this formula come from? Why lim(r-->r_0) [sqrt{C(r)}r] is the effective radius?

PhysiSmo said:
Thank you for your answer! The formula you provided is pretty correct, it passed many tests including 4d and 5d Schwarschild, Reissner Nordstrom, Supersymmetric generalizations of etc. So I guess that it should be correct.

Any ideas where does this formula come from? Why lim(r-->r_0) [sqrt{C(r)}r] is the effective radius?

That's just geometry. To measure the surface using local rulers, you take the surface measured in coordinate space then and adjust each r factor by the tangential component of the metric. I can visualise that for 3-D space, but for higher dimensions I just have to blindly trust the mathematics, so I hope that's right!

1. What is the black hole horizon's surface?

The black hole horizon's surface, also known as the event horizon, is the boundary surrounding a black hole from which nothing, including light, can escape. It marks the point of no return for any object or radiation that gets too close to the black hole's gravitational pull.

2. How is the black hole horizon's surface calculated?

The calculation of the black hole horizon's surface is based on the mass and spin of the black hole. This involves using a mathematical formula known as the Kerr metric, which describes the curvature of space and time around a spinning black hole. By plugging in the values for mass and spin, scientists can determine the size and shape of the black hole's event horizon.

3. Can the black hole horizon's surface change over time?

Yes, the black hole horizon's surface can change over time. As matter and energy fall into the black hole, its mass and spin can increase, causing the event horizon to expand. Additionally, the black hole's spin can change due to interactions with other objects in its vicinity, which can also affect the size and shape of the event horizon.

4. How does the size of the black hole horizon's surface affect its properties?

The size of the black hole horizon's surface is directly related to the mass and spin of the black hole. A larger event horizon indicates a more massive and rapidly spinning black hole. This, in turn, affects the strength of the black hole's gravitational pull and its ability to distort space and time around it.

5. Can the black hole horizon's surface be observed or measured?

No, the black hole horizon's surface cannot be directly observed or measured. As the event horizon represents the point of no return for any form of radiation, including light, it is impossible to see or detect. However, scientists can indirectly study the effects of the black hole's event horizon on its surroundings, such as the accretion disk of matter that forms around it.