Calculus III Parametric Equations

In summary, the individual has uploaded a scan of the questions with 3 separate files containing questions 4, 5, and 6. They have also worked on the problem on paper and are looking for guidance on how to finish the problem. They also inquire about good links for parametric equations. In response, HallsofIvy confirms that the individual has correctly shown that the curve passes through (3,0) for specific values of t and suggests a simpler method to show this. They also point out that the individual has only completed part of the problem for one of the values of t. Regarding part 4, HallsofIvy advises that a complicated calculation is not necessary to determine where horizontal and vertical tangents occur
ae4jm

Homework Statement

I've uploaded a scan of the questions. Questions 4, 5, and 6 are given in the 3 files uploaded. They all come from the given information from the first scan of the problem.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I've worked everything I could on paper; what am I missing. How should I go about finishing the problem and am I correct so far?

Any good links for parametric equations also?

Thanks for the help!

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 386
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 360
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 365
Physics news on Phys.org
For part 3, you have correctly shown that the curve passes through (3, 0) for [itex]t=\sqrt{3}[/itex] and for [itex]t= -\sqrt{3}[/itex]. I confess that I don't understand the rather complicated way you do that! It is sufficient to show that [itex]y= t^3- 3t= 0[/itex] has roots 0, [itex]\sqrt{3}[/itex] and [itex]-\sqrt{3}[/itex] and that only the last two also satisfy [itex]x= t^2= 3[/itex].

You have shown that the tangent line at [itex]t= \sqrt{3}[/itex] is [itex]y= \sqrt{3}x- 3\sqrt{3}[/itex] but you don't seem to have completed the problem for [itex]t= -\sqrt{3}[/itex].

For (4), asking where the tangent lines are horizontal or vertical, again, you have again written a complicated calculation starting with writing [itex]x^2+ y^2[/itex] in terms of t. I can see no reason for that. Horizontal tangents occur where [itex]y'= 3t2-1= 0[/itex] and vertical tangents occur where [itex]x'= 2t= 0[/itex].

Thanks HallsofIvy, once again, for the great help. These forums are great to get the wheels turning!

1. What are parametric equations in Calculus III?

Parametric equations are a way of representing a curve or surface in three-dimensional space using two or more independent variables. In Calculus III, parametric equations are often used to describe the motion of objects in space or to analyze the behavior of vector-valued functions.

2. How do you graph parametric equations in Calculus III?

To graph parametric equations, you can plot points by substituting different values for the independent variables and then connect the points to create a curve or surface. You can also use a graphing calculator or computer program to graph parametric equations.

3. What is the difference between a parametric curve and a parametric surface in Calculus III?

A parametric curve is a one-dimensional object in space, described by two or more equations in terms of a single independent variable. A parametric surface is a two-dimensional object in space, described by three or more equations in terms of two independent variables. In other words, a parametric curve lies in a plane, while a parametric surface lies in space.

4. How do you find the tangent line or plane to a parametric curve or surface in Calculus III?

To find the tangent line to a parametric curve, you can use the derivative of the parametric equations with respect to the independent variable. To find the tangent plane to a parametric surface, you can use the partial derivatives of the parametric equations with respect to the two independent variables.

5. What are some real-world applications of parametric equations in Calculus III?

Parametric equations have many real-world applications, such as modeling the trajectory of a projectile, analyzing the motion of a point on a rotating object, or describing the shape of a rollercoaster track. They are also used in computer graphics and animation to create three-dimensional objects and animations.