Calculus III Problem: find smallest angle

In summary, the smallest angle between the given plane and line can be found using the dot product formula, but the resulting angle is between the normal vector of the plane and the vector pointing along the line, not between the line and the plane. To find the actual angle between the line and plane, this angle should be subtracted from 90 degrees. Careful checking of arithmetic and a sketch can help verify the final answer.
lizbeth

Homework Statement

Find the smallest angle between 3x-2y-4z = 5 and {x = 1 + 2t, y = 3 + 4t, z = 5 + 6t}.

Homework Equations

3x-2y-4z=5 is a plane, the other 3 equations constitute a line.

The Attempt at a Solution

My understanding is that the angle between a plane and a line can be found by using the direction vector of the line and the normal vector of the plane, and applying the dot product formula,
n . v = |n||v|cos Θ.
Doing this, I get that theta is the inverse cosine of -29 / (square root of 29 * square root of 56), which comes out to 130.18 degrees. Since the smallest angle would be the acute angle, I subtracted this from 180 and got 49.82 degrees.

Professor says this is the wrong answer. Can anyone help steer me in the right direction?

Physics news on Phys.org
You should look to the details of your working - could be as simple as an arithmetic mistake.
Note: if n is the normal vector to the plane, and v is the vector pointing along the line, then arccos(n.v/|n||v|) gives the angle between n and v, not between v and the plane.

Thanks, Simon. I have checked the arithmetic of n . v and also |n| and |v|, and those are correct. The inverse cosine of course I have to rely on my calculator for. :)

I think what you're saying is that since the angle that results here is the angle between n and v, that the angle I found by subtracting from 180 is still the angle between n and v, just on the other "side" of the plane, and that this further needs to be subtracted from 90 to find the actual angle -- is that right??

Well done - you should be able to verify this by a sketch.

Likes 1 person
Great! Thank you!

1. What is Calculus III and why is it important?

Calculus III is the third course in a sequence of calculus courses that builds upon the foundations of Calculus I and II. It focuses on multivariable calculus and introduces students to topics such as vector calculus, partial derivatives, multiple integrals, and optimization. It is important because it allows for a deeper understanding of mathematical concepts and their applications in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

2. What is the smallest angle?

The smallest angle is the angle that measures the least amount of degrees or radians within a given set of angles. In the context of this problem, we are likely looking for the smallest angle formed by two vectors or lines in a three-dimensional space.

3. What is the process for finding the smallest angle using Calculus III?

The process for finding the smallest angle using Calculus III involves setting up the problem using vector calculus principles and then using partial derivatives to find the critical points. The smallest angle can be found at these critical points by calculating the dot product of the two vectors or lines and using it to determine the angle between them.

4. What are some real-life applications of finding the smallest angle?

Finding the smallest angle has many real-life applications, such as determining the optimal angle for launching a rocket, calculating the minimum distance between two moving objects, and finding the best angle for a bridge to support the weight of traffic. It can also be used in navigation and mapping, as well as in computer graphics and animation.

5. How can I improve my understanding of Calculus III concepts related to finding the smallest angle?

Some ways to improve your understanding of Calculus III concepts related to finding the smallest angle include practicing with various problems, seeking help from a tutor or professor, and studying with online resources such as videos and practice quizzes. It is also helpful to review related concepts from Calculus I and II, as they build upon each other. Additionally, staying organized and taking thorough notes can aid in understanding and retention of the material.