1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculus III Problem: find smallest angle

1. Sep 17, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find the smallest angle between 3x-2y-4z = 5 and {x = 1 + 2t, y = 3 + 4t, z = 5 + 6t}.

2. Relevant equations
    3x-2y-4z=5 is a plane, the other 3 equations constitute a line.

3. The attempt at a solution
    My understanding is that the angle between a plane and a line can be found by using the direction vector of the line and the normal vector of the plane, and applying the dot product formula,
    n . v = |n||v|cos Θ.
    Doing this, I get that theta is the inverse cosine of -29 / (square root of 29 * square root of 56), which comes out to 130.18 degrees. Since the smallest angle would be the acute angle, I subtracted this from 180 and got 49.82 degrees.

Professor says this is the wrong answer. Can anyone help steer me in the right direction?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 17, 2014 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

You should look to the details of your working - could be as simple as an arithmetic mistake.
    Note: if n is the normal vector to the plane, and v is the vector pointing along the line, then arccos(n.v/|n||v|) gives the angle between n and v, not between v and the plane.

4. Sep 18, 2014 #3
    Thanks, Simon. I have checked the arithmetic of n . v and also |n| and |v|, and those are correct. The inverse cosine of course I have to rely on my calculator for. :)

I think what you're saying is that since the angle that results here is the angle between n and v, that the angle I found by subtracting from 180 is still the angle between n and v, just on the other "side" of the plane, and that this further needs to be subtracted from 90 to find the actual angle -- is that right??

5. Sep 18, 2014 #4

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Well done - you should be able to verify this by a sketch.

6. Sep 18, 2014 #5
    Great! Thank you!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted