1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculus Integration from -10 to 0 Yields a Strange Result

1. Sep 22, 2012 #1
    Calculus Integration from -10 to 0 Yields a Strange Result [RESOLVED]

As part of a far greater enquiry, I found myself integrating:

[itex]\int^{0}_{-10}x^3+2dx[/itex]

So, I began integrating the [itex]x^3+2[/itex] component, yielding the result of:

[itex][\frac{x^4}{4}+2x]^{0}_{-10}[/itex]

Which can then be set out as a subtraction, by:

[itex][\frac{0^4}{4}+2(0)]-[\frac{-10^4}{4}+2(-10)][/itex]

The left term of the subtraction results in zero, whereas the right results in -2520, thus yielding the overall answer of:

[itex]0--2520=0+2520=2520[/itex]

However, a most curious thing occurs, when I integrate the same definite integral on my calculator -- I get a different answer:

[itex]-2480[/itex]

Not only can an area not be negative, but it defies my previous answer. So, now I have been lead to no other choice, but to ask you all for help, as to seeing where I went wrong.

Thankyou in advance, mes amis.

NOTE: I have a strong feeling that the mistake lies in either my own fault, or in my own lack of knowledge.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 22, 2012 #2
    (-10)4 ≠-104

4. Sep 22, 2012 #3
    Ah bon!

But my problem still stands, in that the result is that of a negative value -- should I just ignore the negative sign, and conclude that I must calculate the absolute value of integrals like this in future?

EDIT: To treat the integral maybe, as so:

[itex]|(\int^{0}_{-10}x^3+2dx)|[/itex]

Last edited: Sep 22, 2012
  5. Sep 22, 2012 #4
    no, it does not.

6. Sep 22, 2012 #5
    You're very correct in your declarative statement -- I was a fool in not noticing that the value is negative because it is bellow y=0. I now, shall have to re-think my entire enquiry.

Thankyou, mes amis.

The issue is now resolved.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook