Calculus Integration from -10 to 0 Yields a Strange Result

In summary, the conversation discusses a mistake made while integrating a definite integral from -10 to 0. The mistake is identified as a negative value due to the area being below the y=0 line. The issue is resolved and the questioner thanks those involved.
MarcAReed
Calculus Integration from -10 to 0 Yields a Strange Result [RESOLVED]

As part of a far greater enquiry, I found myself integrating:

[itex]\int^{0}_{-10}x^3+2dx[/itex]

So, I began integrating the [itex]x^3+2[/itex] component, yielding the result of:

[itex][\frac{x^4}{4}+2x]^{0}_{-10}[/itex]

Which can then be set out as a subtraction, by:

[itex][\frac{0^4}{4}+2(0)]-[\frac{-10^4}{4}+2(-10)][/itex]

The left term of the subtraction results in zero, whereas the right results in -2520, thus yielding the overall answer of:

[itex]0--2520=0+2520=2520[/itex]

However, a most curious thing occurs, when I integrate the same definite integral on my calculator -- I get a different answer:

[itex]-2480[/itex]

Not only can an area not be negative, but it defies my previous answer. So, now I have been lead to no other choice, but to ask you all for help, as to seeing where I went wrong.

Thankyou in advance, mes amis.

NOTE: I have a strong feeling that the mistake lies in either my own fault, or in my own lack of knowledge.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
(-10)4 ≠-104

oay said:
(-10)4 ≠-104

Ah bon!

But my problem still stands, in that the result is that of a negative value -- should I just ignore the negative sign, and conclude that I must calculate the absolute value of integrals like this in future?

EDIT: To treat the integral maybe, as so:

[itex]|(\int^{0}_{-10}x^3+2dx)|[/itex]

Last edited:
MarcAReed said:
Ah bon!

But my problem still stands,
no, it does not.

Dickfore said:
no, it does not.

You're very correct in your declarative statement -- I was a fool in not noticing that the value is negative because it is bellow y=0. I now, shall have to re-think my entire enquiry.

Thankyou, mes amis.

The issue is now resolved.

1. Why does integrating from -10 to 0 yield a strange result?

Integrating from -10 to 0 can sometimes yield a strange result because the function being integrated may have a discontinuity or undefined behavior within this interval. This can cause the integral to approach infinity or produce an imaginary result.

2. Can an integral from -10 to 0 ever be a negative value?

Yes, it is possible for the integral from -10 to 0 to be a negative value. This can occur if the function being integrated is negative over the entire interval or if the area above the x-axis is greater than the area below the x-axis.

3. How can I determine if the result of integrating from -10 to 0 is strange?

A result may be considered strange if it does not align with the expected value based on the function being integrated and the interval given. To determine if the result is strange, it may be helpful to plot the function and visually inspect the area under the curve or calculate the integral using different methods, such as the trapezoidal rule.

4. Are there any special techniques for integrating from -10 to 0?

There are no special techniques specific to integrating from -10 to 0. However, it is important to consider the behavior of the function in this interval and choose an appropriate method of integration to avoid a strange result.

5. How can I avoid getting a strange result when integrating from -10 to 0?

To avoid getting a strange result when integrating from -10 to 0, it is important to carefully evaluate the function being integrated and determine if there are any discontinuities or undefined behavior within this interval. It may also be helpful to break the interval into smaller sections and integrate each section separately.