Calculus-integration over mass

• Thread starter chandran
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mass
In summary, the conversation discusses integrals over all m, area, and line and the confusion about their meaning and visualization. It is explained that the integral over mass is the integral of the mass density over the volume of the object, while the line and surface integrals are used in electrostatics to calculate line charge and surface charge, respectively. Further resources and threads are provided for more understanding.
chandran
There are certain integrals which say integration over all m ,integration over all area,integration over line. I am confused with this. In calulus i am comfortable with integration with limits of an independent variable and the
integration results in the area under the curve. But in doing the moment of inertia of a solid about the axis a small dm is present inside the integral
and we say to integrate it for M. What is this integration about M exactly .

Similarly what is integration over line and area. How can i visualize this?

Physics news on Phys.org
chandran said:
There are certain integrals which say integration over all m ,integration over all area,integration over line. I am confused with this. In calulus i am comfortable with integration with limits of an independent variable and the
integration results in the area under the curve. But in doing the moment of inertia of a solid about the axis a small dm is present inside the integral
and we say to integrate it for M. What is this integration about M exactly .

For an infinitesimal mass, what you have is

[itex]dm = \rho dV[/itex]

where [itex]\rho[/itex] is the mass density. So, in general, the mass of the object is the integral of dm over the volume that is occupied by that object, i.e.

[itex]M = \int dm = \int \rho dV[/itex]

If the density is uniform throughout the mass, then you can factor the density out of the integral and all you have, after doing the integral is

[itex]M = \rho V[/itex]

which is what you are familiar with as the mass of the object.

The line and surface integral usually comes in in electrostatic. What you are doing actually is doing a line charge and surface charge integral. So instead of dm, you have [itex]d\lambda[/itex] or [itex]d\sigma[/itex] where [itex]\lambda[/itex] is the infinitesimal line charge defined as

[itex]\lambda = Q dl[/itex]

and [itex]d\sigma[/itex] is defined as

[itex]d\sigma = Q dA[/itex].

You'll notice that this is of similar form that we had for dm, where the "nature" of the quantity (i.e. mass M, or charge Q) is paired with the "dimension", i.e volume or length or area.

Zz.

Last edited:
chandran said:

There is a thread about this going on in the math section. Here's the link,

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=127425

1. What is calculus-integration over mass?

Calculus-integration over mass is a mathematical concept that involves using integration techniques to find the total mass of an object or system. It is based on the fundamental theorem of calculus, which states that the integral of a function can be interpreted as the accumulation of infinitesimal changes in that function.

2. Why is calculus-integration over mass important?

Calculus-integration over mass is important because it allows us to calculate the total mass of an object or system, which is a key factor in understanding and predicting its behavior. It is also used extensively in physics, engineering, and other fields to solve problems involving mass and motion.

3. What are some real-world applications of calculus-integration over mass?

Calculus-integration over mass has numerous real-world applications, such as calculating the center of mass of a physical object, determining the distribution of mass in a system, and predicting the trajectory of a projectile. It is also used in fields like materials science, astronomy, and economics to analyze various systems and phenomena.

4. How is calculus-integration over mass different from other types of integration?

Calculus-integration over mass is a specific type of integration that focuses on finding the total mass of an object or system. It is different from other types of integration, such as finding the area under a curve or the volume of a solid, because it involves using the concept of mass and its distribution.

5. What are some common techniques used in calculus-integration over mass?

Some common techniques used in calculus-integration over mass include the use of definite integrals, integration by substitution, and integration by parts. These techniques allow us to solve a variety of problems involving mass, such as finding the mass of a continuous object or determining the mass of a non-uniformly distributed system.