California high school exit exam

In summary: Have less questions about what the student has learned and more questions about what the student can learn. For example, rather than having a question about U.S. presidents, have a question about who wrote the Declaration of Independence.In summary, the group of high school seniors and their parents who are worried the test might prevent them from graduating filed a lawsuit against the state Department of Education and school Superintendent Jack O'Connell, claiming the exam is illegal and discriminatory. The exit exam is a standard requirement for graduation, and if you cannot pass it, you are either expelled or repeat the grade.
Sorry! said:
Here if you are in special ed (my brother is 17 but has the mentality of about a grade 3 student for most subjects) you get put into special ed and you work towards a certificate instead of a diploma. I'm pretty sure you can apply to College with it but not university. Most special ed students go to 'trade' schools where instead they teach you life skills and how to do a specific job of your choice. I.E. my brother I believe is currently taking cooking courses as well as mechanical courses. This way it improves the odds of them acquiring a job.
Yes, this is my understanding, a special needs student follows a different track. Nice that they are giving him training in more than one thing.

Physics news on Phys.org
concernedmom said:
May I just say that some of you have very cruel beliefs on the way a child should be rewarded for their efforts in high school? I have an amazing daughter with a memory processing disability. She goes to school EVERYDAY, meets with tutors and tries so hard to succeed. And now she won't get a diploma because she can’t pass the math part not because she hasn't worked her *** off for the last four years trying everything! Her school offers a certificate of completion which is basically equivalent to a GED. I must say she could have partied her way thru school doing NOTHING and still gotten a GED.

There is nothing cruel about it.
1) You need to meet some standards everywhere. Your effort alone doesn't count. (As for normal people, I think people here are rewarded a lot just for putting/showing some effort which makes things bit difficult when it comes to universities)
2) People with special needs shouldn't get free diplomas/jobs but they certainly should be helped as much as possible and at the same time shouldn't be pushed beyond their potential.

concernedmom said:
May I just say that some of you have very cruel beliefs on the way a child should be rewarded for their efforts in high school? I have an amazing daughter with a memory processing disability. She goes to school EVERYDAY, meets with tutors and tries so hard to succeed. And now she won't get a diploma because she can’t pass the math part not because she hasn't worked her *** off for the last four years trying everything! Her school offers a certificate of completion which is basically equivalent to a GED. I must say she could have partied her way thru school doing NOTHING and still gotten a GED.

Would you prefer that your daughter gets rewarded with a diploma for trying really hard so she can feel all nice and fuzzy warm inside before she fails her college entrance exam? Or should she be allowed to pass that too because she tried really hard and then realize she can't keep up in class? Or maybe she should even be given a college degree too. But what then? Is she going to be able to get and hold down a college graduate level job? Just how long would you like to defer cold hard reality?

I have met plenty of good and hard working people with decent jobs that never graduated high school or only have GEDs. Would you insult and spit upon them with your insistence that your daughter must be better than that? That you don't want her to be a 'loser' like them?

I'm sure that it may be hard to take for both of you but you can't live life on fuzzy feelings and there are much better measures of worth in life than being able to get a high school diploma.

Yuck, what's that smell? Oh...three years dead zombie thread...

:-p