Can Anyone Stump My All-Knowing Dad?

• Thread starter Shippo
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about someone trying to stump their dad on a question and asking for suggestions. The dad has a background in various subjects and has successfully answered all of the questions so far. Some suggestions for questions are given, such as one about integration, one about centrifugal force, and one about a train in a vacuum tunnel. The conversation also includes some banter and jokes.
Ask your dad this simple question-" Why do hotdogs come in packages of 10 and hot dog buns come in packs of 8?" Guaranteed he will be stumped.

Physics news on Phys.org
gravenewworld said:
Ask your dad this simple question-" Why do hotdogs come in packages of 10 and hot dog buns come in packs of 8?" Guaranteed he will be stumped.
You've obviously never had a weinie roast on a beach. Guaranteed, one hot dog will fall into the fire and be unretrievable. A different hot dog will fall into the sand.

Whether this hot dog is still edible or not depends on whether or not there's a least one person at the party you don't like and whether or not that person saw you drop the hot dog.

This makes the problem of why there is only 8 buns in a package instead of 9 a little more complex and is unsolvable through normal beach party math. It's because bun packagers belong to the conservative, pro-family segment of society. They assume the hot dog in the beach is unusable and the thought of a bunch of single people assembling on the beach together is such a totally repugnant thought that they never get as far as debating whether the sandy hot dog is still usable or not.

BobG said:
You've obviously never had a weinie roast on a beach. Guaranteed, one hot dog will fall into the fire and be unretrievable. A different hot dog will fall into the sand.
Haha, that's true, but you forgot the part about someone trying to douse the fire with their beer. :rolleyes:
Whether this hot dog is still edible or not depends on whether or not there's a least one person at the party you don't like and whether or not that person saw you drop the hot dog.

This makes the problem of why there is only 8 buns in a package instead of 9 a little more complex and is unsolvable through normal beach party math. It's because bun packagers belong to the conservative, pro-family segment of society. They assume the hot dog in the beach is unusable and the thought of a bunch of single people assembling on the beach together is such a totally repugnant thought that they never get as far as debating whether the sandy hot dog is still usable or not.
Ah, but the pro-family people surely realize that there will be a baby in the family who will be served the cut up hot dog without a bun. So the mystery lives! :devil:

honestrosewater said:
Haha, that's true, but you forgot the part about someone trying to douse the fire with their beer. :rolleyes:
Ah, but the pro-family people surely realize that there will be a baby in the family who will be served the cut up hot dog without a bun. So the mystery lives! :devil:
At least that's better than some parties where some guy tries to douse the fire and winds up getting hauled off by the police for indecent exposure. :rolleyes:

The pro-family segment realizes that at the typical family weinie roast, all of the hot dogs wind up in the fire or the sand, the buns get fed to the ducks and geese, and the family goes to MacDonald's to eat. :smile:

BobG said:
At least that's better than some parties where some guy tries to douse the fire and winds up getting hauled off by the police for indecent exposure. :rolleyes:
Sorry to hear that - I hope the cops didn't mistreat you. :biggrin:
The pro-family segment realizes that at the typical family weinie roast, all of the hot dogs wind up in the fire or the sand, the buns get fed to the ducks and geese, and the family goes to MacDonald's to eat. :smile:
:smile: Right, how could I forget... good times.

Shippo said:
I have been trying for quite some time now to stump my dad on just one question. I've tryed out physics, Astronomy & Cosmology, Mathematics, Philosophy, logic, tecnology, almost every subject! It is getting to the point where i stay up late on the internet trying to find something. :bugeye: can anyone suggest a question please?
Invite him to PF.Then we can examine him.
And if he would be able to answer every question, it will be great to have him here. :rolleyes:

Lisa! said:
Invite him to PF.Then we can examine him.
And if he would be able to answer every question, it will be great to have him here. :rolleyes:
That's the most logical thing anyone's said all day.

What is the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow? :smile:

Tom Mattson said:
What is the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow? :smile:
:biggrin: Nice try, but this guy sounds like a nerd, i.e., he has the script on disk somewhere.

I'm right, aren't I, Shippo?