Can force be applied in vacuum?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of applying force in a vacuum and whether or not it is possible. The participants consider the role of forces in a vacuum and the existence of force fields, such as gravitational and electrical fields, in a vacuum. They also mention the idea of replacing humans with robots in a vacuum and the misconception that Newtonian forces do not exist in vacuum. Additionally, they touch upon the difference between vacuum and fieldless region and the role of contact forces at the microscopic level.
donaldparida
Is the capability to apply force dependent on the medium.Suppose two human beings are placed in vacuum.Now, can they apply forces on each other?
Also, can force fields such as gravitational and electrical fields exist in vacuum and if so then why?

Physics news on Phys.org
donaldparida said:
Is the capability to apply force dependent on the medium.Suppose two human beings are placed in vacuum.Now, can they apply forces on each other?
Also, can force fields such as gravitational and electrical fields exist in vacuum and if so then why?
Yes. Yes. Yes. Think about it for a moment.

donaldparida said:
Suppose two human beings are placed in vacuum. Now, can they apply forces on each other?
What else should happen? That they pass through each other like ghosts, or what?

Well, I guess the two guys will die pretty soon in vacuo and thus not exert forces on each other anymore ;-)). SCNR.

Then replace the humans with robots.

George Carlin knows the answer.

I think you really mean to say in space - correct? Otherwise I have no idea why you think a vacuum affects forces. In space, you may be thinking there is nothing to "push against" - but how do rockets work, they expell a propellant in one direction that pushes ( generates a force) on the rocket in the opposite direction.

donaldparida said:
Then replace the humans with robots.
You do realize that we already sent humans and robots into space?

Well, I don't understand the question. Why shouldn't you be able to exert a force on another object, only because you are in a vacuum in the first place?

Well, I am confused over this since i used to think earlier that you apply force in vacuum but my physics teacher said that Newtonian forces do not exist in vacuum.

Did he give an explanation, how he came to that conclusion? It's totally ununderstandable to me, how you can get such an idea. The fundamental forces are all defined in "the vacuum". Forces like pressure of a gas or something like that are derived from the vacuum theory (hydrodynamics, kinetic gas theory) via statistical mechanics. On a fundamental level forces are mediated by fields, which can move through space as any other "object".

No, he did not provide an explanation. Well the conversation between us was somewhat like this:
Me- What happens to the energy of an object when we lift an object in a vacuum or a fieldless region as opposed to the case when we lift it in a field such as a gravitational field(in which case its P.E. increases).
Teacher-Newtonian forces do not exist in vacuum and so the question of lifting them in vacuum does not arise.

Well, if there is no gravitational force in a vacuum, how comes that the planets run in nice bound orbits around the sun? This is only possible if there is a force, according to Newton's 1st law. You teacher is thus plain wrong.

donaldparida said:
No, he did not provide an explanation. Well the conversation between us was somewhat like this:
Me- What happens to the energy of an object when we lift an object in a vacuum or a fieldless region as opposed to the case when we lift it in a field such as a gravitational field(in which case its P.E. increases).
Teacher-Newtonian forces do not exist in vacuum and so the question of lifting them in vacuum does not arise.
Maybe he meant the fieldless region not the vacuum as such?

You mean that Newtonian forces don't exist in fieldless regions

When there is "no field", there is no force.

Your question to your teacher seemed to equate vacuum to fieldless region. They are not the same thing. You can have vacuum but with fields. This is VERY common. We accelerate charged particles in vacuum!

Zz.

I guess you are talking about field forces and what about forces applied by contact.

donaldparida said:
I guess you are talking about field forces and what about forces applied by contact.

What do you think "contact" is at the miscroscopic level?

Zz.

Likes donaldparida

1. Can force be applied in a vacuum?

Yes, force can be applied in a vacuum. Vacuum refers to an area with no air or matter, but it does not mean that there is no force present. Force can still be exerted on objects in a vacuum.

2. How is force applied in a vacuum?

Force can be applied in a vacuum through various means, such as electromagnetic force, gravitational force, or mechanical force. For example, a spacecraft can use thrusters to generate force and move in a vacuum.

3. Does force behave differently in a vacuum compared to other environments?

No, force behaves the same way in a vacuum as it does in other environments. The laws of physics still apply, and forces will cause objects to accelerate or change their motion in a vacuum.

4. Can force be measured in a vacuum?

Yes, force can be measured in a vacuum using various instruments such as force sensors or force gauges. These instruments can measure the magnitude and direction of forces applied to objects in a vacuum.

5. Are there any limitations to applying force in a vacuum?

There are some limitations to applying force in a vacuum, such as the lack of air resistance. This can make it challenging to control the direction and magnitude of force, especially for objects that are not designed to operate in a vacuum. Additionally, some materials may behave differently in a vacuum due to the absence of air molecules.