Can I Increase Current Output to 500mA with a 7805 IC and Capacitor?

In summary: I will check the ratings of the transformer and also try to add bypass capacitors.Hmmm thanks brother for your reply.I will check the ratings of the transformer and also try to add bypass capacitors.
neeraj kaira
Hello everyone.
I'm having 5v,100 mA current in the rectified output. I used a 7805 ic to regulate the voltage and a pair of capacitor as filters. And my question is i want 500 mA current in the output keeping 5v constant. Is that possible? Any circuit to increase the current?
Thank you hope somebody will help...

Engineering news on Phys.org
You need to provide more info. The current in the rectified output as you state it is dependent on the load and the ability of the source to provide said current.

You could reduce the load, add another power source, or redesign the circuit if you have sufficient input power.

I used a stepdown transformer giving 19 v.

Simon Bridge said:
You could reduce the load, add another power source, or redesign the circuit if you have sufficient input power.

Can you provide a circuit. Please its my minor project

neeraj kaira said:
Can you provide a circuit. Please its my minor project
V=IR

If you want bigger I, but the same V, what do you need to do?
Details are important - perhaps you are attempting something like this:
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=623756

Depends on the current rating capabilty of the transformer and recitifiers. If they can handle it then you just need a properly designed 7805 with proper heatsinking. You may need to add bypass capacitance to reduce increased ripple.
What you need to replace depends on the capability of the components you have already. There is no way I can determine that without a schematic and datasheets.

meBigGuy said:
Depends on the current rating capabilty of the transformer and recitifiers. If they can handle it then you just need a properly designed 7805 with proper heatsinking. You may need to add bypass capacitance to reduce increased ripple.
What you need to replace depends on the capability of the components you have already. There is no way I can determine that without a schematic and datasheets.

Which type of stepdown transformer should i use so as to have maximum current.

It just has to be rated (have low enough resistance) to handle the current.

meBigGuy said:
It just has to be rated (have low enough resistance) to handle the current.

Hmmm thanks brother

1. How can I increase current in a circuit?

To increase current in a circuit, you can either decrease the resistance or increase the voltage. This can be achieved by using a lower resistance material or by adding more power sources in parallel.

2. Can increasing the current damage my circuit?

Yes, increasing the current beyond the capacity of your circuit can cause damage. It can lead to overheating, melting of wires and components, and potentially cause a fire. It is important to always check the maximum current rating of your circuit and not exceed it.

3. Is there a limit to how much current can be increased in a circuit?

Yes, there is a limit to how much current can be increased in a circuit. This is determined by the resistance and voltage of the circuit, as well as the maximum current rating of the components used. It is important to always stay within these limits to avoid damaging the circuit.

4. Can changing the type of wire increase the current in a circuit?

Yes, using a wire with a lower resistance can increase the current in a circuit. Thicker wires also have lower resistance and can handle higher currents. However, it is important to also consider the maximum current rating of the wire when making changes.

5. Are there any safety precautions to consider when increasing current in a circuit?

Yes, it is important to always follow safety precautions when working with electricity and increasing current in a circuit. This includes wearing protective gear, using proper tools, and ensuring the circuit is properly grounded. It is also important to double check all connections and not exceed the maximum current rating of the circuit.