Can someone check my work? Returning to college after 12 years. Forgot everything

In summary, the given problem provides information about an object starting at the origin with zero velocity and experiences 10 seconds of time. The equations provided can be used to find the final position of the object (Xf). However, without any information about acceleration or what happens during the 10 seconds, the problem cannot be solved. Some people have given conflicting answers and the asker is feeling overwhelmed.
sammy852

Homework Statement

Given v0= 0 m/s, xo=0 m and t= 10s, use the equation below together to find Xf

Homework Equations

x=xo+vot+(1/2)at^2
vf^2=vo^2+2a(xf-xi)

The Attempt at a Solution

vf=at xf-1/2at^2 vf=2axf

so then,
plug in t=10 and vf=10a
xf=50a ...

I don't know, someone told me this is involvable and i should quit. While other people gave me three different answers. I am really complex...? PLease help me

Physics news on Phys.org
sammy852 said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

x=xo+vot+(1/2)at^2
vf^2=vo^2+2a(xf-xi)

vf=at xf-1/2at^2 vf=2axf

so then,
plug in t=10 and vf=10a
xf=50a ...

I don't know, someone told me this is involvable and i should quit. While other people gave me three different answers. I am really complex...? PLease help me

What happen at t=10s?

That is what i was trying to ask. The question is like that. I ask some people and they say it is missing a variable,.

So what I learn from this problem if that you start off at the origin (or wherever, it isn't important) without any velocity, and it asks you where you are 10 seconds later.

Without it giving you any information about what happens during those 10 seconds you can't solve the problem.

If anything, the object hasn't moved because the problem never mentions that it was accelerated at all.
But that is still dubious, I have never seen a question where you assume acceleration is 0 because of the fact it wasn't mentioned. I think that there isn't enough information here.

sammy852 said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

x=xo+vot+(1/2)at^2
vf^2=vo^2+2a(xf-xi)

vf=at xf-1/2at^2 vf=2axf

so then,
plug in t=10 and vf=10a
xf=50a ...

does it have a diagram accompanying the question like some sought of projectile?

1. How can I make sure my work is correct after being away from college for 12 years?

One way to check your work is to consult with a tutor or classmate for feedback and assistance. You can also use online resources and practice problems to refresh your knowledge and skills.

2. Is it common to forget everything after being out of college for so long?

It is normal to feel rusty and forget some information after a long break from college. However, with the right resources and effort, you can regain your knowledge and improve your skills.

3. Can I ask my professor or instructor to check my work?

Yes, most professors and instructors are willing to review and provide feedback on your work. It is important to communicate with them and ask for their assistance if needed.

4. Are there any tips for returning to college after a long break?

Some tips for returning to college after a long break include creating a study schedule, seeking academic support, and staying organized. It is also helpful to set realistic goals and give yourself time to adjust to the academic environment.

5. What resources are available for someone returning to college after 12 years?

There are many resources available for individuals returning to college after a long break, such as tutoring services, study groups, online resources, and academic advisors. It is important to take advantage of these resources to help you succeed in your academic journey.