1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Can someone check my work? Returning to college after 12 years. Forgot everything

1. Aug 1, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Given v0= 0 m/s, xo=0 m and t= 10s, use the equation below together to find Xf

2. Relevant equations
    x=xo+vot+(1/2)at^2
    vf^2=vo^2+2a(xf-xi)

3. The attempt at a solution
    vf=at xf-1/2at^2 vf=2axf

so then,
    plug in t=10 and vf=10a
    xf=50a .....

I don't know, someone told me this is involvable and i should quit. While other people gave me three different answers. I am really complex...??? PLease help me

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 1, 2012 #2
    What happen at t=10s?

4. Aug 1, 2012 #3
    That is what i was trying to ask. The question is like that. I ask some people and they say it is missing a variable,.

5. Aug 1, 2012 #4
    So what I learn from this problem if that you start off at the origin (or wherever, it isn't important) without any velocity, and it asks you where you are 10 seconds later.

Without it giving you any information about what happens during those 10 seconds you can't solve the problem.

If anything, the object hasn't moved because the problem never mentions that it was accelerated at all.
    But that is still dubious, I have never seen a question where you assume acceleration is 0 because of the fact it wasn't mentioned. I think that there isn't enough information here.

6. Aug 2, 2012 #5
    does it have a diagram accompanying the question like some sought of projectile?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook