Can someone explain to me what i did wrong on this quiz? waves

In summary, the conversation discusses the correct unit for velocity squared and the relation between acceleration and units. It is noted that the unit should have been m^2/s^2, and the conversation also includes a brief mention of Penn State as the poster's university.
mr_coffee
hello everyone. I'm studying for the exam now and I understand if a wave is moving in the negative x direction to the left, the value infront of the x should be positve. But you see where he took off -1/2, because i wrote down m/s? Do you know why? its v^2, i thought that just means take the value of v, square it. should it have been m^2/s^2?

http://img112.imageshack.us/img112/5643/lastscan4bc.jpg

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
looks like you go to PENN STATE
Physics 211 212 213 214

SORRY I CANT HELP, but i thought your class looked like a penn state class 214, just got me happy! sorry lol

Last edited:
Yes, it should have been m^2/s^2. Note that the d^2y/dt^2 is in m/s^2 and the d^2y/dx^2 is in 1/m.

So:
[tex]\frac{m}{s^2}=(unit)\frac{1}{m}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{m^2}{s^2}=(unit)[/tex]

-Dan

Ooo thanks topsquark!
and yes I go to Penn state hah! I'm assuming u also went there or go?
I'm a Computer Engineering Major, wee!

1. What is the purpose of the quiz on waves?

The purpose of the quiz on waves is to test your understanding and knowledge of the properties and behaviors of waves.

2. What are the common mistakes people make on this quiz?

Some common mistakes people make on this quiz include not understanding the difference between transverse and longitudinal waves, confusing amplitude and wavelength, and not correctly identifying the parts of a wave.

3. How can I improve my score on this quiz?

To improve your score on this quiz, make sure you have a clear understanding of the concepts and definitions related to waves. Review your notes and do practice problems to solidify your understanding.

4. Can someone explain the concept of wave interference?

Wave interference occurs when two or more waves meet and interact with each other. Constructive interference happens when the waves are in phase and their amplitudes add together, resulting in a larger amplitude. Destructive interference occurs when the waves are out of phase and their amplitudes cancel each other out, resulting in a smaller or zero amplitude.

5. What are some real-life applications of understanding waves?

Understanding waves is crucial in many fields, such as engineering, telecommunications, and medicine. For example, engineers use wave properties to design and build structures that can withstand seismic waves during earthquakes. Telecommunications relies on waves to transmit signals for communication. In medicine, waves are used in diagnostic imaging techniques like ultrasound and MRI.