1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Can someone explaing OPAMPS tasks to me?

1. Aug 30, 2014 #1
    I am learning about operational amplifiers or so called OPAMPS. And I know how to solve these two examples

EXAMPLE 1 - inverting opamp
    EXAMPLE 2 - non-inverting opamp

But how to solve these two:

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

IMAGE 1
    1. As you can see on picture No1, it is solved, but I need someone to explain to me the logic behind it, because this scheme doesnt match neither inverting or non-inverting opamp. And why formula looks the way it is. Uin = E / ( (r1+r2) / r2 )? If E is Uinput and E goes to +, that means it non-inverting OPAMP, and the usual formula is (R1+Rf)/R1. So thats why I dont understand.

IMAGE 2
    This one is similar. The scheme doesnt match to inverting and non inverting opamp, so I am confused how the solution for Uinput is 12,2V.

2. Relevant equations

So if someone can tell me how I can figure out the formula for the first one or the second example, or for any similar scheme when it comes to opamps, I would be really greatful

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 30, 2014 #2
  4. Aug 30, 2014 #3

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Circuit 1...

This is a inverting comparator..

ε and R1&R2 can be treated as a simple potential divider to calculate a "reference voltage" at V+ of 1.12V.

If V- is > V+ (eg >1.12V) the output will be low (approx. -12V)
    If V- is < V+ (eg <1.12V) the output will be high (approx. +12V)

The sketch graph appears correct.

Circuit 2...

This is a non-inverting comparator..

In this case ε provides a 5V "reference voltage" on V-.

The input u is divided down by the divider R1&R2 and presented to V+. The divider ratio is about 0.41.

If V+ (=u*0.41) is > V- (=5V) the output will be high (approx. 12V). For this to be the case u must be greater than 12.2V (= 5/0.41)

If V+ (=u*0.41) is < V- (=5V) the output will be low (approx. -12V). For this to be the case u must be less than 12.2V

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted