1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Can the angle of refraction be equal to the angle of incidence?

1. Jun 26, 2009 #1
    Snell's law says
    n1sin(theta1) = n2sin(theta2)

The angle of refraction theta2 can be greater or less than the angle of incidence theta1. That's fairly obvious.

My question is if theta2 = theta1 then we don't have an interface (because n1 = n2) so the light is still in the same medium, and there is nothing to talk about???

Is there a case where there is an interface and theta2 = theta1 ?

--------------------------------

I think I found the answer: Pyrex rod in Wesson oil!

Last edited: Jun 26, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 26, 2009 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

You can always pretend that there's an interface, with each side having the same n. Snell's law then tells you that θ1 = θ2, which makes sense since it just means that the light continues straight through as if there was no interface (which there isn't, of course).

4. Jun 26, 2009 #3

ideasrule

Homework Helper

How about the case that the OP pointed out: two transparent substances with the same index of refraction?

Of course, angle of incidence is also equal to the angle of refraction with the former is 90 degrees.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook