Can We Use Huckel's Rule to Determine Aromaticity in 1,4-Benzoquinone?

• Thread starter warenzeichen
  • Start date
In summary, Huckel's rule is used to determine the aromaticity of compounds. It is important to consider all possible resonance structures, as well as factors such as ring current, NMR shifts, and experimental results. In this case, the compound is not aromatic because the zwitterion form is energetically unfavorable.
warenzeichen
I am not sure how to use Huckel's rule to determine whether this compound is aromatic or not. It seems that inside the ring, there are only 4 pi electrons, and can the e- between C and oxygen move towards the ring?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
warenzeichen said:
can the e- between C and oxygen move towards the ring?

I'll give you a hint: They can't.

when we count the no of pi e- , don't we consider the "possible resonance" structure?
Also, can we say this is a "fully delocalized" system?

but for C=O , is it possible for us to draw as -C-O+ for prediction( although C is less electronegative than O)
for molecules with alternative resonance structure, do we need to consider all ?

Hueckels rule is derived from MO theory, why do you want to count resonance structures then?

so it is really inside the ring?

Certainly to some degree. But aromaticity is not a totally well defined concept and Hueckels rules can sometimes be misleading. What about a diamagnetic ring current? NMR shifts of the Carbons and Hydrogens? Are there any experimental results?

I wasn't anticipated to use extensive mathematics to explain simple molecules in intermediate organic chemistry courses. I think Huckel's rule is sufficient to explain them. But there are tautomers / one of the resonance structures . Hence, it is important to consider the structure to see if one of them got aromaticity in one structure (e.g. keto-enol tautomerism)

anyway, the compound is not aromatic.

warenzeichen said:
I wasn't anticipated to use extensive mathematics to explain simple molecules in intermediate organic chemistry courses. I think Huckel's rule is sufficient to explain them. But there are tautomers / one of the resonance structures . Hence, it is important to consider the structure to see if one of them got aromaticity in one structure (e.g. keto-enol tautomerism)

anyway, the compound is not aromatic.

If you were to produce the correct tautomer, you would have a zwitterion where the formal charges were on the oxygens. In that case the ring itself would be aromatic. But if you consider the ground state, it isn't. That zwitterion is waay higher in energy than the rather modest aromatic stabilization energy you get as a result of shuffling the electrons into just the right locations.

Related to Can We Use Huckel's Rule to Determine Aromaticity in 1,4-Benzoquinone?

1. What is 1,4-benzoquinone?

1,4-benzoquinone, also known as para-benzoquinone, is a compound with the chemical formula C6H4O2. It is a yellow crystalline solid that is commonly used in organic synthesis and as a precursor for dyes and other chemicals.

2. Is 1,4-benzoquinone aromatic?

Yes, 1,4-benzoquinone is considered aromatic. This means that it has a ring structure with delocalized electrons, making it more stable and having unique chemical properties.

3. How is 1,4-benzoquinone produced?

1,4-benzoquinone can be produced through the oxidation of hydroquinone, which is a common method used in industry. It can also be produced through the oxidation of various aromatic compounds.

4. What are the uses of 1,4-benzoquinone?

1,4-benzoquinone has a variety of uses in industry and research. It is commonly used as a reagent in organic synthesis, as a precursor for dyes and pigments, and as a chemical intermediate for various other compounds.

5. Is 1,4-benzoquinone toxic?

Yes, 1,4-benzoquinone can be toxic if ingested or inhaled. It has been shown to have harmful effects on the respiratory system and can also act as a skin irritant. Proper safety precautions should be taken when handling this compound.