Canadian Law: Injunctions - complete newbie

In summary, the police officer told my friend that there are ways of getting it dropped, but they're not supposed to tell him that.
DaveC426913
Gold Member
Asking for a friend. Hypothetically.

Say my friend, hypothetically, had an injunction that forbade him from entering his own apartment or having any "direct or indirect contact" with his partner.
Say there's a court date pending in a few weeks.
Let's assume it's an interim injunction.

And let's say the hypothetical processing police officer told my friend that there are ways of getting it dropped, but they're not supposed to tell him that.

The obvious one, I assume, is if the victim decides to "drop the charges" (if that's how it works).

How might my friend negotiate that if he is not even allowed to have indirect contact with his partner? Does that forbid third parties from trying to bridge the gap?

I find lots of stuff online about applying and enforcing an injunction, but not a lot getting one dismissed.

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think we are the right platform for such a question. If one I have learned about the science of law, then it is that they use a language of their own, a language which has little to do with logic. Furthermore, "indirect" might mean different things in different cases. I cannot imagine that anyone else but a lawyer can answer such questions.

Likes davenn
fresh_42 said:
I cannot imagine that anyone else but a lawyer can answer such questions.
totally agree

Likes Bystander
fresh_42 said:
I cannot imagine that anyone else but a lawyer can answer such questions.
I hear ya.

Response from my lawyer's office: "He's not that kind of lawyer. He knows absolutely nothing about areas outside his expertise."

gleem said:
Look right here for you answer. https://www.justanswer.com/canada-law/
Are you nuts?? :wideeyed: Those 'get your answer here' sites are a total scam.
1. They require your email before you can proceed.
2. They have only one response: 'Sorry, your question cannot be answered here. We will contact you by email'.
3. Then they spam the crap out of you.

Likes 256bits
DaveC426913 said:
I hear ya.

Response from my lawyer's office: "He's not that kind of lawyer. He knows absolutely nothing about areas outside his expertise."
Ask a criminal law lawyer, if that is what this case could be.
Or, perhaps it is a civil matter ie such as a problem with the share of the rent, which would be under provincial jurisdiction rather than national.
They do practice in particular specialized areas of law, as do most other professions ( ie foot doctor )

1. What is a Canadian injunction?

A Canadian injunction is a court order that prohibits a party from taking a specific action or requires them to take a specific action. It is typically used to prevent harm or maintain the status quo during a legal dispute.

2. Who can apply for a Canadian injunction?

Any party involved in a legal dispute can apply for a Canadian injunction. This includes individuals, corporations, and government entities. However, the court will only grant an injunction if it is deemed necessary and just in the circumstances of the case.

3. What is the process for obtaining a Canadian injunction?

The process for obtaining a Canadian injunction will vary depending on the specific court and jurisdiction. Generally, the applicant must file a formal application with the court and provide evidence to support the need for an injunction. The court will then make a decision based on the evidence presented.

4. What are the consequences of violating a Canadian injunction?

If a party violates a Canadian injunction, they may be held in contempt of court. This can result in penalties such as fines or even imprisonment. It is important to adhere to the terms of the injunction to avoid legal consequences.

5. Can a Canadian injunction be appealed?

Yes, a Canadian injunction can be appealed. If a party disagrees with the court's decision, they can file an appeal with a higher court. However, the process and requirements for appealing an injunction may vary depending on the jurisdiction and the specific circumstances of the case.