Cannon & Cliff: Minimum Muzzle Velocity & Horizontal Flight

In summary: Thirdly, the equation is a quadratic, so you will get two answers for the x distance. The first will be the original x distance from the cannon to the ground, and the other will be the time at which it hits the ground on the other side of the parabola.Fourthly, plugging in the values we found for t and d_y (the x distance and time at the top of the cliff), we get:t= 2.51 secd_y = \frac{1}{2}at^2 + v_it which is 21.9264 m.
steph2010
a cannon located 60m from the base of a vertical 25m tall cliff, shoots a 15kg shall at 43 degrees above the horizontal toward the cliff (a) what must the minimum muzzle velocity be for the shell to clear the top of the cliff? (b) the ground at the top of the cliff is level, with a constant elevation of 25m above the cannon. Under the conditions of part (a) how far does the shell land past the edge of the cliff?
I got part (a) to be 32.63 m?s but i don't know where to start for part b.

Physics news on Phys.org
When the shell lands, the y distance is 0. You can find the time for this and how far out the shell lands using the same motion equations you used for part a.

but arent i finding the where it would land on the y axis?

The y-axis is height, so you need to know at what point in time the height is 0 (that is, the object is on the ground). Since the equation is a quadratic, you will have two answers. 1 will be 0 (since it starts from ground height) and the other will be the time at which it hits the ground on the other side of the parabola. Use that to find the x distance.

i am getting the answer to be 21.9264m is that right?

Not what I got, what did you get for the time?

t= 2.51 sec

Hmm.

[tex] d_f = \frac{1}{2}at^2 + v_it [/tex]?

now i have to answers for t 2.04sec and 2.5sec

Wait, 2.51 is the time that the shell clears the cliff, we want where it lands. Set the y equation equal to 0 and then plug that time (and the same velocity from part a) into the x equation.

what y and x equations?

Y: [tex]d_y = \frac{1}{2}at^2 + v_it [/tex]
X: [tex] d_x = x_it [/tex]

You're doing the same thing you did to make sure the shell cleared the cliff and find the velocity for that (you didn't know time or velocity) except now you don't know time or distance.

ok so t= 5.77 sec

I'm sorry I'm still not getting that and I'm 99% sure my work is correct. Why don't you show me your work.

0=-25=32.64t-4.905t^2
t= -.88s t=5.77s

OK, thanks.

First off, I assume the -25 is for the height of the cliff which isn't needed. We already proved that the shell would clear the cliff in part a, so start back at the cannon from ground level.

Secondly, the shell isn't shot horizontally, as your equation as it. It was shot 43º above horizontal, which affects the velocity.

Related to Cannon & Cliff: Minimum Muzzle Velocity & Horizontal Flight

1. What is the significance of minimum muzzle velocity in cannon and cliff experiments?

Minimum muzzle velocity is an important factor in determining the horizontal flight of a cannonball or projectile launched off a cliff. It refers to the minimum speed at which the cannonball must be propelled in order to reach a certain distance or target. Without sufficient minimum muzzle velocity, the cannonball will not have enough initial energy to travel the desired distance.

2. How is minimum muzzle velocity calculated?

Minimum muzzle velocity can be calculated using the equation: Vmin = √(gd)/(1 - cosθ), where Vmin is the minimum muzzle velocity, g is the acceleration due to gravity, d is the horizontal distance to be traveled, and θ is the angle of the cannon or cliff. This equation takes into account the initial height and angle of the cannon or cliff, as well as the force of gravity.

3. What factors can affect the minimum muzzle velocity in a cannon and cliff experiment?

The minimum muzzle velocity in a cannon and cliff experiment can be affected by a number of factors, such as the angle of the cannon or cliff, the initial height of the cannon or cliff, the mass and shape of the projectile, air resistance, and the force of gravity. These factors can all impact the initial speed and trajectory of the projectile.

4. How does horizontal flight differ from vertical flight in a cannon and cliff experiment?

Horizontal flight refers to the motion of a projectile parallel to the ground, while vertical flight refers to the motion of a projectile perpendicular to the ground. In a cannon and cliff experiment, horizontal flight is the desired outcome, as it allows the projectile to travel a certain distance. Vertical flight, on the other hand, can result in the projectile falling straight down and not reaching the desired distance.

5. Can the minimum muzzle velocity be increased to achieve a longer horizontal flight in a cannon and cliff experiment?

Yes, the minimum muzzle velocity can be increased by adjusting the angle of the cannon or cliff, or by increasing the initial height of the cannon or cliff. Increasing the mass or shape of the projectile can also result in a higher minimum muzzle velocity. However, it is important to note that there may be limitations based on the capabilities of the cannon or cliff and the laws of physics.