Cannot access data apartition after format.

In summary, when you format a partition, all data is permanently erased and cannot be accessed. This can happen due to changes in the file system, errors during formatting, or incorrect formatting. It is highly unlikely to recover the data after formatting. To prevent data loss, regularly back up your data on a separate storage device. If you have a backup, you can restore the data onto the partition after formatting, but any data from before the backup will still be erased.
Rabid
Cannot access data partition after format.

The HD on my computer is partitioned.
I recently formatted the partition with windows and reinstalled it.
Now I cannot access the other partition.

Error message:

E:/ is not accesible.
Ths file or directory is corrupted and unreadable.

Any Ideas?

Last edited:
Computer science news on Phys.org
do a fdisk and then reformat
are you using the same file system, one that your OS can read

It sounds like the formatting process may have caused some corruption on the other partition, making it unreadable. One possible solution could be to use data recovery software to try and retrieve any lost files from the corrupted partition. However, there is no guarantee that this will be successful. Another option could be to try and use disk management tools to repair the partition or assign a new drive letter to it. If these options do not work, it may be necessary to seek professional assistance from a data recovery service. In the future, it is always important to back up important data before formatting a partition to avoid situations like this.

What does it mean when I cannot access data from a partition after formatting?

When you format a partition, it erases all data from that partition and prepares it to be used for storing new data. If you cannot access the data from a partition after formatting, it means that the data has been permanently erased and is no longer recoverable.

Why can't I access the data from a partition after formatting?

When you format a partition, the file system on that partition is changed, which can sometimes cause issues with accessing the data. This can also happen if there was an error during the formatting process or if the partition was not formatted correctly.

Is there any way to recover the data from a partition after formatting?

Unfortunately, if you cannot access the data from a partition after formatting, it is highly unlikely that you will be able to recover it. Formatting permanently erases the data from the partition, so there is no way to retrieve it.

Can I prevent losing data from a partition after formatting?

To prevent losing data from a partition after formatting, it is important to regularly back up your data on a separate storage device. This way, if you accidentally format a partition or encounter any issues after formatting, you will still have a copy of your important files.

Is it possible to access data from a partition after formatting if I have a backup?

If you have a backup of the data from the partition, you can restore it onto the partition after formatting. However, it is important to note that the formatting process will still erase any data that was on the partition before the backup was made.