Simple RC Circuit Voltage Division Solution

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with finding the correct values for a simple voltage division in the s-domain. The person provides their attempt at a solution, but realizes they have forgotten to laplace transform the pulse signal.
Rib5

Homework Statement

I think I am turning retarded. For some reason I can't get the right values for a simple voltage division in the s-domain. Find Vout in terms of Vin
http://img11.imageshack.us/img11/6325/tardf.jpg

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So I do H(s) = (1/s) / ((1/s) + 1 ) = 1/(s+1)
Then Inverse Laplace transform it and get Vin*e^(-t). But shouldn't Vout=Vin(1-e^(-t)) ?

So I think I am ending up with the voltage drop across the resistor instead of the capacitor like it should be...

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Can you post the whole problem? I'm quite sure you have left something important out. One error I can see right now is, you haven't laplace transformed the pulse signal.

Thanks so much! That's what I was forgetting.

Related to Simple RC Circuit Voltage Division Solution

1. Why am I unable to do a simple RC circuit?

There could be a few reasons for this. It could be due to a lack of understanding of the concept or incorrect calculations. It could also be a problem with the components or connections in the circuit.

2. What is the purpose of a simple RC circuit?

A simple RC circuit is used to control the flow of electric current. It can be used as a filter, timer, or oscillator in electronic devices.

3. How do I calculate the time constant in a simple RC circuit?

The time constant in a simple RC circuit is calculated by multiplying the resistance (R) in ohms by the capacitance (C) in farads. The formula is T = R x C.

4. What are the possible sources of error in a simple RC circuit?

The sources of error in a simple RC circuit could include inaccurate measurements of resistance or capacitance, faulty components, or incorrect connections.

5. How can I troubleshoot a simple RC circuit that is not working?

Firstly, check all the components and connections to make sure they are correct and functioning properly. Then, double-check the calculations for the time constant and make sure it matches the expected result. If the circuit still does not work, try using different components or consulting a professional for assistance.