1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Capacitor charge in parallel RC circuit

1. Feb 27, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    What is Q(∞), the charge on the capacitor after the switch has been closed for a very long time?
    a circuit, whose image is attached, has known values for the resistors : R1 = R2 = 72 Ω, R3 = 101 Ω and R4 = 79 Ω, is C = 56 μF, V = 24 V.

2. Relevant equations

kirchoff's laws

3. The attempt at a solution
    here is what i've calculated from preceding questions:
    1) I1(0) just after the switch is closed?-------> 0.158940397 A
    2) I1(∞)------------------------------------> 0.074074074 A
    ive tried making the circuit at t=infinity, where the capacitor will have no current. so basically it wont interfere, but i cant see how the circuit changes?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 27, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 1, 2013 #2

BruceW

Homework Helper

I agree with the answers you got for the previous parts. I don't understand what you mean when you say that you don't know how the circuit changes... As you said, the current through the capacitor becomes zero at t=infinity. And I'm guessing you used this fact to get the answers to the previous questions. So it looks like you do know how the circuit changes as t=infinity.

The problem you are trying to work out now is what is the charge on the capacitor at t=infinity. Well you have worked out the current through the resistors at t=infinity, so think of a way to work out the voltage across the capacitor at t=infinity. Nothing is special at t=infinity, it is just handy in this problem because the current at t=infinity is fairly easy to calculate, as you have done. So don't be afraid to use the usual rules for circuit behaviour even though t is tending to infinity.

4. Mar 1, 2013 #3

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

At T->∞ the capacitor might as well not be in the circuit (because Ic=0). So take it out and work out the voltage just due to the resistors.

Then apply the well known equation that relates the charge on a capacitor to it's voltage.

5. Mar 1, 2013 #4
    yes BruceW, it just took a little doodling and experimenting, but i figured out the question. thanks for your input :D, and CWatters, thanks to you too

6. Mar 1, 2013 #5

BruceW

Homework Helper

no problem :) glad to help.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted