Capacitor charge in parallel RC circuit

In summary, the charge on the capacitor after the switch has been closed for a very long time is 0.074074074 A.
woaname

Homework Statement

What is Q(∞), the charge on the capacitor after the switch has been closed for a very long time?
a circuit, whose image is attached, has known values for the resistors : R1 = R2 = 72 Ω, R3 = 101 Ω and R4 = 79 Ω, is C = 56 μF, V = 24 V.

Homework Equations

kirchoff's laws

The Attempt at a Solution

here is what I've calculated from preceding questions:
1) I1(0) just after the switch is closed?-------> 0.158940397 A
2) I1(∞)------------------------------------> 0.074074074 A
ive tried making the circuit at t=infinity, where the capacitor will have no current. so basically it won't interfere, but i can't see how the circuit changes?

Attachments

• h11_RC_limits.png
    h11_RC_limits.png
    1.3 KB · Views: 593
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I agree with the answers you got for the previous parts. I don't understand what you mean when you say that you don't know how the circuit changes... As you said, the current through the capacitor becomes zero at t=infinity. And I'm guessing you used this fact to get the answers to the previous questions. So it looks like you do know how the circuit changes as t=infinity.

The problem you are trying to work out now is what is the charge on the capacitor at t=infinity. Well you have worked out the current through the resistors at t=infinity, so think of a way to work out the voltage across the capacitor at t=infinity. Nothing is special at t=infinity, it is just handy in this problem because the current at t=infinity is fairly easy to calculate, as you have done. So don't be afraid to use the usual rules for circuit behaviour even though t is tending to infinity.

so basically it won't interfere, but i can't see how the circuit changes?

At T->∞ the capacitor might as well not be in the circuit (because Ic=0). So take it out and work out the voltage just due to the resistors.

Then apply the well known equation that relates the charge on a capacitor to it's voltage.

yes BruceW, it just took a little doodling and experimenting, but i figured out the question. thanks for your input :D, and CWatters, thanks to you too

no problem :) glad to help.

1. How does a capacitor charge in a parallel RC circuit?

In a parallel RC circuit, the capacitor is connected in parallel with the resistor. When a voltage is applied to the circuit, the capacitor starts to charge. As the capacitor charges, the voltage across the capacitor increases, while the voltage across the resistor remains constant. The capacitor will continue to charge until it reaches the same voltage as the source.

2. What is the purpose of a capacitor in a parallel RC circuit?

The capacitor in a parallel RC circuit acts as a temporary storage device for electrical charge. It allows the circuit to maintain a constant voltage, even when there are fluctuations in the source voltage. This makes it useful in smoothing out the output of power supplies and in filtering out unwanted noise in electronic circuits.

3. How does the value of the resistor affect the charging of the capacitor in a parallel RC circuit?

The value of the resistor in a parallel RC circuit affects the rate at which the capacitor charges. A higher resistance will result in a slower charging time, while a lower resistance will result in a faster charging time. This is because the resistor limits the flow of current to the capacitor, which determines how quickly it can charge.

4. What happens to the charge in a parallel RC circuit once the capacitor is fully charged?

Once the capacitor in a parallel RC circuit is fully charged, it will stop accepting any more charge. This is because the capacitor reaches its maximum capacity and cannot store any additional charge. At this point, the voltage across the resistor will be equal to the source voltage, and no more current will flow through the circuit.

5. How can the time constant of a parallel RC circuit be calculated?

The time constant of a parallel RC circuit can be calculated by multiplying the resistance value (in ohms) by the capacitance value (in farads). It is represented by the symbol τ and is measured in seconds. The time constant represents the amount of time it takes for the capacitor to charge to 63.2% of its maximum charge.