1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Capacitors and Potential Difference

1. Feb 16, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    (Note: This is the fourth part of a single question, but it's the only part I'm having trouble with. Don't worry, it's not as simple as Q/V. :rofl:)

"What is the potential difference between a point midway between the [circular, parallel] plates [which are 1.43 x 10-4 m apart] and a point that is 1.23 x 10-4 m from one of the plates? Answer in units of V."

Givens: (Some of these I have gotten from the (proven correct) solutions from other parts of the question.)

[tex]\Delta V_{0} = 0.148 V[/tex]
    [tex]\Delta d_{1} = 7.15 \times 10^{-5} m[/tex]
    [tex]\Delta d_{2} = 1.23 \times 10^{-4} m[/tex]
    [tex]C_{0} = 5.264 \times 10^{-15} F[/tex]
    [tex]Q_{0} = 7.79 \times 10^{-14} C[/tex]

[tex]\Delta V_{N} = ?[/tex]

2. Relevant equations
    [tex]C = \frac{Q}{\Delta V}[/tex]
    [tex]\Delta V = E\Delta d = \frac{\Delta PE_{e}}{q}[/tex]
    [tex]PE_{electric} = \frac{1}{2}C\Delta V^{2} = \frac{Q^{2}}{2C}[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

Alright. My problem with this question isn't so much mathematical as conceptual. If I could figure out some things, I could definitely apply some equations to solve it.

-Should I use point-charge equations for this?
    -Since we're talking about voltage between points and not charges, can I use the charge capacity of the capacitor in my equations?
    -Can I add up the distances between the points, or do I need to work them separately because they are on different sides of the source of the field?
    -If I change the voltage, wouldn't I be unable to use my values for [tex]C[/tex] and [tex]Q[/tex], since they rely on a certain voltage?
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 17, 2007 #2
    Since in a parallel plate capacitor, the electric field is constant at all points, the potential gradient must also be a constant. Therefore, the potential at a point midway will be q/2v.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?