How Much Energy Can a Custom Car Capacitor Store?

In summary, the conversation discusses designing an energy storage system for a car using a capacitor with sandwich geometry and alternating voltage. The capacity and energy stored can be calculated using the area, distance, and number of conducting and insulating sheets. The breakdown factor and maximum voltage also need to be taken into consideration. The parallel plate capacitors can be considered connected in parallel or series, with no difference in the energy density.
star2003
I am supposed to design an energy storage system for a car, so I want to calculate how much energy can be stored in a capacitor whose geometry matches the car. As a baseline, we have an area 150 cm wide by 2500 cm long by 30 cm tall. The capacitor is a sandwich geometry , one layer of conductor, one layer of insulator, one layer of conductor etc. There are n+1 sheets of conductor and n sheets of insulator. The thickness of the insulating sheets is equal to the thickness of the conucting sheets, d. Paper is the insulating material. It has a minimum thickness d, 50 micrometers which is twice the thickness of paper. The conducting sheets alternate in voltage between +V and -V. I am trying to figure out how much energy can be stored in this capacitor if a factor of 2 for the electrical breakdown of the insulating sheets and adjusting the thickness d to maximize the energy stored. I also need to find the maximum voltage. I am not even sure where to start. Please help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Your multi-plate capacitor is equivalent to n 2-plate capacitors connected in parallel.

The capacity of each 2-plate capacitor is given by

C = e0 e A / d

where e0 is a constant (epsilon-0), e is the dielectric constant of the paper (assuming that it fills all the volume between the conducting plates), A is the area of the plate, d is the distance between 2 conducting plates.

The total capacity is nC (because the capacitors are connected in parallel).

The total charge stored in the system is:

Q = n C V

The energy stored is:

U = Q V / 2 = n C V^2 / 2

I don't understand the piece of information you gave about the breakdown. Please explain it better.

I believe the breakdown factor and dielectric constant are one in the same.

Why aren't the n parallel plate capacitors considered to be connected series?

Originally posted by discoverer02
Why aren't the n parallel plate capacitors considered to be connected series?

It depends on how they're wired. It also really doesn't matter. The energy density is the same.

Related to How Much Energy Can a Custom Car Capacitor Store?

1. What is a capacitor with a dielectric?

A capacitor with a dielectric is a type of electronic component that is used to store electrical energy. It consists of two conductive plates separated by an insulating material known as a dielectric. The dielectric helps to increase the capacitance of the capacitor, allowing it to store more charge.

2. How do dielectrics affect the capacitance of a capacitor?

Dielectrics have a direct impact on the capacitance of a capacitor. The higher the dielectric constant of the material, the higher the capacitance of the capacitor will be. This is because the dielectric reduces the electric field between the plates, allowing more charge to be stored on the plates.

3. What are some common dielectric materials used in capacitors?

There are many different materials that can be used as dielectrics in capacitors. Some common examples include ceramic, paper, mica, and plastic. The choice of dielectric material depends on the specific application and the desired properties of the capacitor.

4. What is the role of dielectrics in preventing capacitor breakdown?

Dielectrics are essential for preventing capacitor breakdown. They act as insulators between the plates, preventing the plates from coming into direct contact and causing a short circuit. Additionally, dielectrics can withstand high voltages, which helps to prevent electrical breakdown of the capacitor.

5. Can the dielectric material in a capacitor be changed?

Yes, the dielectric material in a capacitor can be changed. This allows for capacitors with different properties to be created for different applications. However, changing the dielectric material can also affect other characteristics of the capacitor, such as its maximum voltage rating and temperature stability.