Car Traveling the Circle - Kinematic Quiz

In summary: Seriously, OP, if you want to be spoonfed, go to Yahoo Answers and offer 10 points to the first sucker who'll help you with a full solution. But you'd better be ready to do it for all your problems, because you'll never learn this way.
jtigers1
Good evening.
I'd like to first start by saying I am new to this forum, and I am a physics noob. I know that very fact will help people shy away from trying to help me answer this question. This problem (which an image is posted) is 1 of 5 questions on a take home kinematic quiz. I've managed to answer all of them (correctly, I hope) except for this one.

One of the issues, I am having with this question is that I've never seen a similar problem. Also, some of the language in the problem may be confusing me.

Homework Statement

A car is traveling the circle shown between points A + B at a constant speed of 10 m/s. The radius of the circle is 100m.

There is a theta sub a (30 degrees) and a theta sub b (60 degrees).

I wrote everything that I could, but I've attached an image that shows everything.

a) Find the components of V_a and V_b

b) Compute delta V (keep in component form)

c) If it takes 10s to go between points A and B, what is the acceleration, in component form and magnitude angle form?

Relevant equations
a= delta v/delta t
components of vectors

The Attempt at a Solution

First off, the problems states the car is traveling at a constant speed, so doesn't that mean acceleration = 0?

But part c wants me to find the acceleration...? If its going at a constant speed, how is there a change in velocity for part b? These two things are confusing the crap out of me.

So far, I've started to find the components of V_a (hopefully the right way)
V_ax = (cos30)(10)
V_ay = (sin30)(10)

If this is the correct way to figure out the components, then I think I can get parts A and B of this question. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• hw2.2.jpg
    hw2.2.jpg
    13.3 KB · Views: 424
Physics news on Phys.org
This is a circular motion problem. While the car is traveling at constant speed along the circumference of the circle, its velocity and acceleration with respect to coordinate axes whose origin is at the center of the circle will vary with the position of the car between points A and B.

Have you studied circular motion in your physics course yet?

nope, we have not gone over circular motion. >.<

Traveling at a constant speed doesn't mean that the acceleration is zero. If the velocity vector changes direction, this also constitutes acceleration. Acceleration is defined as the rate of change of velocity with respect to time, and velocity is a vector whose direction can change. So when you are determining acceleration, you need to include the effects of both the speed and direction of the velocity vector.

jtigers1 said:
nope, we have not gone over circular motion. >.<

Knowledge of circulation motion is not necessarily required to solve the problem, if you have studied Vectors!

The replies from you guys are ridiculous. This in no way, shape or form would be able to help any physics noob.

After a couple of hours of reevaluating my approach trying to follow the "advice" from the forum, I asked my Asian friend to just solve it for me.

Thanks for the useless help. If you all would like to call it help. I have learned to keep an Asian friend in my back pocket.

"If this is the correct way to figure out the components, then I think I can get parts A and B of this question. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated. "

"First off, the problems states the car is traveling at a constant speed, so doesn't that mean acceleration = 0? "

"Traveling at a constant speed doesn't mean that the acceleration is zero."

"Thanks for the useless help."

Need I say more?

Well, here's hoping nothing happens to your Asian friend, because then you'll be stuck. BTW, make sure your friend is comfortable on your lap when he takes the exam for you.

SteamKing said:
Well, here's hoping nothing happens to your Asian friend, because then you'll be stuck. BTW, make sure your friend is comfortable on your lap when he takes the exam for you.

Asian...lap...suddenly, I have an irresistible image of a beautiful Siamese on his lap. That has to be one smart cat. :biggrin:

Seriously, OP, if you want to be spoonfed, go to Yahoo Answers and offer 10 points to the first sucker who'll help you with a full solution. But you'd better be ready to do it for all your problems, because you'll never learn this way. And what *are* you going to do when it comes time for your exams?

What is "Car Traveling the Circle - Kinematic Quiz"?

"Car Traveling the Circle - Kinematic Quiz" is a scientific experiment that involves a car traveling in a circular path and collecting data on its position, velocity, and acceleration. It is used to study the principles of kinematics, which is the branch of physics that deals with the motion of objects without considering the forces that cause the motion.

What is the purpose of "Car Traveling the Circle - Kinematic Quiz"?

The purpose of "Car Traveling the Circle - Kinematic Quiz" is to study the motion of an object in a circular path and to analyze its kinematic properties such as position, velocity, and acceleration. This experiment also helps to understand the concepts of circular motion and how it differs from linear motion.

What equipment is needed for "Car Traveling the Circle - Kinematic Quiz"?

The equipment needed for "Car Traveling the Circle - Kinematic Quiz" includes a car, a circular track, sensors to measure position and velocity, and software to collect and analyze data. The car should also have a way to adjust its velocity and direction, such as a remote control or a motor.

What are the key variables measured in "Car Traveling the Circle - Kinematic Quiz"?

The key variables measured in "Car Traveling the Circle - Kinematic Quiz" are position, velocity, and acceleration. Position is the location of the car on the circular track at a particular time, velocity is the rate of change of position, and acceleration is the rate of change of velocity.

How does "Car Traveling the Circle - Kinematic Quiz" relate to real-life applications?

"Car Traveling the Circle - Kinematic Quiz" relates to real-life applications in many ways. The principles of kinematics are used in various fields such as engineering, robotics, and sports. For example, understanding circular motion is crucial in designing roller coasters or analyzing the movement of planets in our solar system. It also helps in improving the performance of athletes in sports like discus throw, hammer throw, or ice skating.