1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Cartesian coordinates vectors

1. Feb 10, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    upload_2017-2-10_15-9-0.png

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    upload_2017-2-10_15-10-26.png

the answer given is the same but without the negative sign, I don't understand because the crossproduct of unit vectors upload_2017-2-10_15-13-41.png
    when using a Cartesian coordinates of the directions given by the right-hand rule? Is the positive z direction pointing out of the page if X and Y are as follows
    upload_2017-2-10_15-18-3.png
    apologies if this is in the wrong section, thanks for any help in advance

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 10, 2017 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes. ##\hat {k} = \hat {\bf \imath } \times\hat {\bf \jmath}## , so z points towards you, out of the screen.

Corkscrew rule I call it. Turn ##\hat{\bf \imath }## over the smallest angle towards ##\hat {k}##. Corkscrew will go in the minus y direction : $$\hat \imath \times\hat k = -\hat \jmath $$

4. Feb 10, 2017 #3

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The problem doesn't specify which of the two wires the charge -q is a distance b from. Does the answer change if you pick the other wire to be a distance b from -q?

5. Feb 10, 2017 #4
    Thank you both your answers, TSny I thought the same, closer to the top wire the combined magnetic field would be in the opposite direction . Maybe the question is just not very good

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted