Cartesian Distance from Origin in the XY Plane

In summary, the cartesian coordinates of a point in the xy plane are x=−9.92 m, y=−2.8 m. The distance "r" from the point to the origin is 10.30m. To calculate the angle θ between the radius-vector of the point and the positive x-axis, we can use the equation tanθ= y/x and take the inverse tangent. This gives us an angle of 15.64 degrees. However, the answer should be reported within the limits of −180◦to +180◦, so we need to adjust our answer accordingly.
Robertoalva
1. The cartesian coordinates of a point in the xy plane are x=−9.92 m, y=−2.8 m.Find the distance "r" from the point to the origin.Answer in units of m

Homework Equations

A=sqrt(Axi^2 + Ayj^2)

The Attempt at a Solution

i did the following:
A=sqrt((-9.92m)^2 + (-2.8m)^2) and got for answer 10.30m

is that right?

Physics news on Phys.org
also, there's this second part, where I'm stuck.

Calculate the angle θ between the radius-vector of the point and the positive x-axis (measured counterclockwise from the positive x axis, within the limits of −180◦to +180◦). Answer in units of degrees

Your "r" looks right. Have you tried drawing a picture of the situation?

Likes 1 person
for the second one? yes, the point lies in the third quadrant, now the thing is how to get the angle, there's an equation tantheta= y/x, I did it and i got tantheta= .28 which if i want to get the angle,i just have to get tan^-1 right?

That will give you an angle which will be helpful in determining the answer, but it is not the answer.

hmmm, okay, then what do you suggest would be the next step then? do I subtract that angle from another one?

First, what did you get for your arctan(.28)?
Second, are you clear about how they want you to report the answer "measured counterclockwise from the positive x axis, within the limits of −180◦to +180◦"

i got 15.64 degrees and no! that part messes me up, i think the limit me, only to the 0 to the 180 (first and second quadrant)

Is it 0 to 180 (makes no sense)? Or -180 to 180 (makes sense).

1. What is the Cartesian plane and how is it used to measure distances?

The Cartesian plane, also known as the coordinate plane, is a two-dimensional graph used to plot points and represent mathematical equations. It is divided into four quadrants and is used to visually represent the relationships between variables. Distances on the Cartesian plane are measured using the Pythagorean theorem.

2. What is the Pythagorean theorem and how is it used to calculate distances on the Cartesian plane?

The Pythagorean theorem states that in a right triangle, the square of the length of the hypotenuse (the side opposite the right angle) is equal to the sum of the squares of the other two sides. In the Cartesian plane, this theorem is used to calculate the distance between two points by finding the length of the hypotenuse of a right triangle that connects the two points.

3. How do you find the distance between two points on the Cartesian plane?

To find the distance between two points on the Cartesian plane, you can use the distance formula: d = √((x2 - x1)^2 + (y2 - y1)^2), where (x1, y1) and (x2, y2) are the coordinates of the two points. This formula is derived from the Pythagorean theorem and gives the distance between two points in terms of their x- and y-coordinates.

4. Can negative distances exist on the Cartesian plane?

No, negative distances do not exist on the Cartesian plane. The distance between two points is always positive, as it is the length of a line segment. However, the coordinates of a point can be negative, depending on its position on the plane.

5. How is the distance between a point and a line calculated on the Cartesian plane?

To calculate the distance between a point and a line on the Cartesian plane, you can use the perpendicular distance formula: d = |ax0 + by0 + c| / √(a^2 + b^2), where (x0, y0) is the coordinate of the point and a, b, and c are the coefficients of the equation of the line. This formula gives the shortest distance between the point and the line, measured along a perpendicular line from the point to the line.