1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Cartesian plane distances

1. Jun 10, 2013 #1
    1. The cartesian coordinates of a point in the xy plane are x=−9.92 m, y=−2.8 m.Find the distance "r" from the point to the origin.Answer in units of m

2. Relevant equations

A=sqrt(Axi^2 + Ayj^2)

3. The attempt at a solution

i did the following:
    A=sqrt((-9.92m)^2 + (-2.8m)^2) and got for answer 10.30m

is that right?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 10, 2013 #2
    also, there's this second part, where I'm stuck.

Calculate the angle θ between the radius-vector of the point and the positive x axis (measured counterclockwise from the positive x axis, within the limits of −180◦to +180◦). Answer in units of degrees

4. Jun 10, 2013 #3

lewando

Gold Member

Your "r" looks right. Have you tried drawing a picture of the situation?

5. Jun 10, 2013 #4
    for the second one? yes, the point lies in the third quadrant, now the thing is how to get the angle, there's an equation tantheta= y/x, I did it and i got tantheta= .28 which if i want to get the angle,i just have to get tan^-1 right?

6. Jun 10, 2013 #5

lewando

Gold Member

That will give you an angle which will be helpful in determining the answer, but it is not the answer.

7. Jun 10, 2013 #6
    hmmm, okay, then what do you suggest would be the next step then? do I subtract that angle from another one?

8. Jun 10, 2013 #7

lewando

Gold Member

First, what did you get for your arctan(.28)?
    Second, are you clear about how they want you to report the answer "measured counterclockwise from the positive x axis, within the limits of −180◦to +180◦"

9. Jun 10, 2013 #8
    i got 15.64 degrees and no! that part messes me up, i think the limit me, only to the 0 to the 180 (first and second quadrant)

10. Jun 10, 2013 #9

lewando

Gold Member

Is it 0 to 180 (makes no sense)? Or -180 to 180 (makes sense).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted