Center of mass of infinite cylinder of air

In summary, the density of air at height z above the Earth’s surface is proportional to e^(−az), the center of mass of an infinite cylinder of air above a small flat area on the Earth’s surface is located at 1/a. This is found by considering line density and using the identities for differentiation and the center of mass equation.
phosgene

Homework Statement

The density of air at height z above the Earth’s surface is proportional to e^(−az) , where a is a constant > 0. Find the centre of mass of an infinite cylinder of air above a small flat area on the Earth’s surface. Hint : Consider line density and the identities:

[itex]\frac{d}{dz}e^{-az}=-ae^{-az}[/itex]

[itex]\frac{d}{dz}((az+1)e^{-az})=-a^{2}ze^{-az}[/itex]

Homework Equations

Center of mass = [itex]\frac{1}{M}\sum{m_{i}x_{i}}=\frac{1}{M}\int{xdm}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no idea how to get started because I don't know how to use the e^(-az) expression. Could I just write that the density of air at height z = be^(-az) where b is some constant of proportionality? Then I think I would try to find M and dm/dx, plug it into the center of mass equation and integrate from 0 to infinity?

Physics news on Phys.org
phosgene said:

Homework Statement

The density of air at height z above the Earth’s surface is proportional to e^(−az) , where a is a constant > 0. Find the centre of mass of an infinite cylinder of air above a small flat area on the Earth’s surface. Hint : Consider line density and the identities:

[itex]\frac{d}{dz}e^{-az}=-ae^{-az}[/itex]

[itex]\frac{d}{dz}((az+1)e^{-az})=-a^{2}ze^{-az}[/itex]

Homework Equations

Center of mass = [itex]\frac{1}{M}\sum{m_{i}x_{i}}=\frac{1}{M}\int{xdm}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no idea how to get started because I don't know how to use the e^(-az) expression. Could I just write that the density of air at height z = be^(-az) where b is some constant of proportionality? Then I think I would try to find M and dm/dx, plug it into the center of mass equation and integrate from 0 to infinity?

Yes, taking into account that dm=ρ(z)dz, and you integrate with respect to z.

ehild

Likes Ali Sharifi
Thanks :) I did the calculation and got 1/a, is that correct?

phosgene said:
Thanks :) I did the calculation and got 1/a, is that correct?

It is correct. Well done!

ehild

Thanks again!

FAQ: Center of mass of infinite cylinder of air

What is the center of mass of an infinite cylinder of air?

The center of mass of an infinite cylinder of air is the point at which the mass of the cylinder is evenly distributed in all directions. It is the balance point of the cylinder, where it would balance perfectly if placed on a pivot.

How is the center of mass of an infinite cylinder of air calculated?

The center of mass of an infinite cylinder of air is calculated using the formula Xcm = (R/2) * ln(R/r), where R is the radius of the cylinder and r is the radius of the air inside the cylinder. This formula assumes that the air inside the cylinder is evenly distributed and has a constant density.

Why is the center of mass of an infinite cylinder of air important?

The center of mass of an infinite cylinder of air is important because it helps us understand the overall behavior and stability of the cylinder. It also allows us to make predictions about how the cylinder will move and react in different situations.

Does the center of mass of an infinite cylinder of air change with altitude?

No, the center of mass of an infinite cylinder of air does not change with altitude. This is because the density of air is not affected by altitude, so the distribution of air inside the cylinder remains constant.

What factors can affect the center of mass of an infinite cylinder of air?

The center of mass of an infinite cylinder of air can be affected by changes in the density or distribution of air inside the cylinder. It can also be affected by external forces such as wind or changes in atmospheric pressure.

Back