Finding the Centre of Mass of a Solid Cone

In summary: The correct formula is ycm=∫ydm/∫dm where dm is mass of the volume element. In the case of a cone, dm=ρAdy where ρ is density and A is the area of the cross section. So, ycm=∫yρAdy/∫ρAdy = ∫(yρA/ρA)dy = ∫ydy = y^2/2. Thus, ycm = h/4 = (1/4)√(r^2+h^2). In summary, we can find the centre of mass of a solid cone by using the formula ycm = h/4 = (1/4)√(r
AdityaDev

Homework Statement

Find the centre of mass of solid cone.

Homework Equations

$$y_{cm}=\frac{1}{M}\int_0^Hydm$$

The Attempt at a Solution

First I took thin disks. I got the answer when I assumed its thickness to be dy but then dysecθ would be more accurate if half angle of cone is θ since dysecθ gives the length of the slanted part, while dy would give a cylinder.
20150329_112303-1.jpg

Now I get wrong answer.

Attachments

• 20150329_111211-1.jpg
    20150329_111211-1.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 2,118
Physics news on Phys.org
AdityaDev said:

Homework Statement

Find the centre of mass of solid cone.

Homework Equations

$$y_{cm}=\frac{1}{M}\int_0^Hydm$$

The Attempt at a Solution

First I took thin disks. I got the answer when I assumed its thickness to be dy but then dysecθ would be more accurate if half angle of cone is θ since dysecθ gives the length of the slanted part, while dy would give a cylinder.
But the volume of a truncated cone is (h pi/3 )(r12+r1r2+r22) where r1 and r2 are the radii of the base plates and h is the height. In case of the volume element, r1≈r2=r and h=dy, so the volume element is that of a disk with radius r and height dy.

Also, you have to use density times Ady instead of dm in the integral.

Last edited:
ehild said:
But the volume of a truncated cone is (h pi/3 )(r12+r1r2+r22) where r1 and r2 are the radii of the base plates and h is the height. In case of the volume element, r1≈r2=r and h=dy, so the volume element is that of a disk with radius r and height dy.

Also, you have to use density times dy instead of dm in the integral.
OK. But what's wrong in dysecθ?

Nothing is wrong with it if you do not use it instead of dy.

What is the definition of centre of mass of a solid cone?

The centre of mass of a solid cone is the point where all the mass of the cone can be considered to be concentrated.

How is the centre of mass of a solid cone calculated?

The centre of mass of a solid cone can be calculated by finding the average position of all the mass in the cone. This is done by taking into account the distribution of mass and the geometry of the cone.

What factors affect the centre of mass of a solid cone?

The centre of mass of a solid cone is affected by the mass distribution within the cone and its shape. The height, radius, and density of the cone also play a role in determining its centre of mass.

Why is the centre of mass of a solid cone an important concept in physics?

The centre of mass of a solid cone is an important concept in physics as it allows us to understand the overall motion and stability of the cone. It also helps in determining the forces acting on the cone and predicting its behavior.

How does the centre of mass of a solid cone compare to other shapes?

The centre of mass of a solid cone is unique compared to other shapes due to its varying mass distribution. Unlike a sphere or cylinder, the centre of mass of a cone is not located at its geometric centre, making it a more complex concept to understand and calculate.