How Do You Differentiate e^(b*t*ln(t)) + ln(x) with Respect to t?

In summary, the derivative of the given expression with respect to t is t^(b*t)*(ln(t)*b)+b + 1/x. However, there are some simplifications and clarifications that can be made, such as d/dt(ln(x)) = 0 and simplifying b*t*1/t. It would also be helpful to explain the steps taken to arrive at the derivative.
Cadmatic
D e^(b*t*ln(t)) + ln(x) respect to t

my answer:

t^(b*t)*(ln(t)*b)+b + 1/x

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Cadmatic said:
D' e^(b*t*ln(t)) + ln(x) respect to t

my answer:

t^(b*t)*(ln(t)*b)+b + 1/x
No. For the exponential function, the chain rule looks like this: d/dt(eu) = eu*du/dt.

Also, did you mean the ln(x) term to be ln(t)?

nope. It is ln(x)

And are you supposed to find the derivative with respect to t or is it the partial derivative with respect to t?

Your D' notation doesn't mean anything, so I can't tell what you are trying to do.

derivative respect to t <:

so:
exp(b*t*ln(t))*(b*ln(t)+(b*t*1/t)+1/x ?

= e^(b*t*ln(t) * (b*ln(t)+b)+1/x

Last edited:

Cadmatic said:
derivative respect to t <:

so:
exp(b*t*ln(t)*(b*ln(t)+(b*t*1/t)+1/x ?

Two things:
1) d/dt(ln(x)) = 0. As far as t is concerned, x is a constant, so ln(x) is a constant, so d/dt(ln(x)) is 0.
2) b*t*1/t can be simplified.

Also, it would be good for you to be more explanatory in what you are doing. For this problem, that would mean indicating that you are taking the derivative of something, with respect to some variable, and then showing what you arrived at.

For this problem, what I'm talking about is this:
d/dt[e^(b*t*ln(t)) + ln(x)] = exp(b*t*ln(t)*(b*ln(t)+(b*t*1/t)+1/x

Note that I copied your result verbatim, and the two points above still apply.

1. How do you apply the chain rule to solve physics problems?

The chain rule is a mathematical concept that is used to find the derivative of a composite function. In physics problems, this rule can be applied to situations where there are multiple variables that affect each other. To apply the chain rule, you must first identify the dependent and independent variables in the problem. Then, you can use the chain rule formula, which states that the derivative of a composite function is equal to the derivative of the outer function multiplied by the derivative of the inner function.

2. Can you provide an example of a physics problem where the chain rule is necessary?

An example of a physics problem where the chain rule is necessary is when calculating the velocity of an object moving in a circular path. In this case, the velocity is dependent on both the distance traveled and the time taken. Using the chain rule, you can find the derivative of the velocity with respect to both variables, allowing you to determine how the velocity changes as the object moves along the circular path.

3. Is the chain rule only applicable to physics problems with circular motion?

No, the chain rule can be applied to a wide range of physics problems, not just those involving circular motion. It is a fundamental concept in calculus that is used to find the rate of change of a dependent variable with respect to an independent variable. In physics, this could be used to solve problems involving motion, forces, and other variables that are dependent on each other.

4. What are some common mistakes to avoid when using the chain rule in physics problems?

One common mistake when using the chain rule in physics problems is forgetting to use the chain rule formula correctly. It is essential to identify the inner and outer functions and apply the formula accordingly. Another mistake is not properly identifying the dependent and independent variables in the problem, which can lead to incorrect solutions. It is also important to be familiar with the rules of differentiation and not make any errors in the calculations.

5. How can I improve my understanding and application of the chain rule in physics problems?

To improve your understanding and application of the chain rule in physics problems, it is essential to practice and familiarize yourself with the concept. Start with simple problems and gradually work your way up to more complex ones. It is also helpful to understand the underlying principles and concepts behind the chain rule, such as the product and quotient rules. Additionally, seeking help from a tutor or teacher can also aid in improving your understanding and application of the chain rule in physics problems.