Change in Momentum, Impulse, and Wall Impulse

• Thread starter FlukeATX
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Momentum
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a 0.200 kg ball hitting a wall with a specific velocity and rebounding with another velocity. The main focus is on determining the change in momentum and the impulse on both the ball and the wall. The attempted solution involves subtracting each component of the vectors multiplied by the mass, but it is incorrect due to a missing sign.
FlukeATX
[Resolved] Unit-vector momentum?

Homework Statement

A 0.200 kg ball hits a wall with a velocity of (7.60 m/s)i + (8.60 m/s)j + (3.50 m/s)k. It rebounds from the wall with a velocity of (1.80 m/s)i + (3.40 m/s)j + (-4.70 m/s)k. In unit-vector notation, what are (a) the change in the ball's momentum, (b) the impulse on the ball, and (c) the impulse on the wall?

Homework Equations

p=mv

The Attempt at a Solution

I attempted subtracting each component of the vectors multiplied by the mass, like this:
Pi = ((7.6)-(1.8))*0.2
Pj = ((8.6)-(3.4))*0.2
Pk = ((3.5)+(4.7))*0.2

P=(1.16)i+(1.04)j+(1.64)k

This was wrong, and I'm not sure why it is or how to go about it. I submit with the wileyplus system, which said that none of my vector components were correct. Anyone know why?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
FlukeATX said:

Homework Statement

A 0.200 kg ball hits a wall with a velocity of (7.60 m/s)i + (8.60 m/s)j + (3.50 m/s)k. It rebounds from the wall with a velocity of (1.80 m/s)i + (3.40 m/s)j + (-4.70 m/s)k. In unit-vector notation, what are (a) the change in the ball's momentum, (b) the impulse on the ball, and (c) the impulse on the wall?

Homework Equations

p=mv

The Attempt at a Solution

I attempted subtracting each component of the vectors multiplied by the mass, like this:
Pi = ((7.6)-(1.8))*0.2
Pj = ((8.6)-(3.4))*0.2
Pk = ((3.5)+(4.7))*0.2

P=(1.16)i+(1.04)j+(1.64)k

This was wrong, and I'm not sure why it is or how to go about it. I submit with the wileyplus system, which said that none of my vector components were correct. Anyone know why?

Your calculations are initial - final?

That was it, thanks!

You solved it yourself.

All you needed was a sign.

1. What is a unit-vector momentum?

A unit-vector momentum is a vector quantity that represents the motion of an object. It is defined as the product of an object's mass and its velocity, and is typically represented by the symbol p.

2. How is unit-vector momentum calculated?

The unit-vector momentum of an object can be calculated by multiplying the object's mass by its velocity. This can be represented by the equation p = mv, where p is the momentum, m is the mass, and v is the velocity.

3. What is the significance of a unit-vector momentum?

Unit-vector momentum is significant because it helps us understand the motion of objects and their interactions with other objects. It is also a conserved quantity, meaning that the total momentum of a system remains constant unless acted upon by an external force.

4. How is unit-vector momentum different from regular momentum?

Regular momentum is a vector quantity that takes into account the direction of an object's motion, while unit-vector momentum is a normalized vector that has a magnitude of 1 and does not take direction into consideration. This allows for easier comparison and analysis of the momentum of different objects.

5. Can unit-vector momentum be negative?

Yes, unit-vector momentum can be negative. This occurs when an object is moving in the opposite direction of the chosen coordinate system. However, the magnitude of the unit-vector momentum will still be positive, as it is always normalized to a value of 1.